Northern Illinois University Faculty Athletics
Representative Matt Streb was honored Thursday by the National Football Foundation
as part of the organization's 2012 Faculty Salute Initiative.
Streb was one of 15 FARs from across the country that was recognized for his efforts. The honor was given to the FARs at each of the schools who had an NFF National Scholar-Athlete. In 2011, former NIU FAR Jan Rintala was recognized alongside NIU QB Chandler Harnish.
Below is a list of the FARs who were honored:
· Baylor University, Mike Rogers (Nick Florence, QB, 3.79 GPA)
· Duke University, Martha Putallaz (Sean Renfree, QB, 3.40 GPA)
· Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Hank Smith (Ethan Peterson, OL, 3.83 GPA)
· Northern Illinois University, Matt Streb (Nabal Jefferson, DT, 3.78 GPA)
· Northwestern University, Robert Gundlach (Patrick Ward, OT, 3.94 GPA)
· Robert Morris University, Scott Branvold (Nolan Nearhoof, DE, 3.73 GPA)
· Saint Xavier University (Ill.), Barbara Becker (Shane Zackery, WR, 3.71 GPA)
· Syracuse University, Mike Wasylenko (Ryan Nassib, QB, 3.57 GPA)
· Texas Tech University, Brian Shannon (Cody Davis, S, 3.70 GPA)
· University of Alabama, Kevin Whitaker (Barrett Jones, C, 4.00 GPA)
· University of Mount Union (Ohio), Scott Mason (Nick Driskill, S, 3.77 GPA)
· University of Nebraska, Josephine Potuto (Rex Burkhead, RB, 3.43 GPA)
· University of Notre Dame, Patricia Bellia (Manti Te'o, LB, 3.32 GPA)
· University of Southern California, Clare Pastore (Matt Barkley, QB, 3.21 GPA)
· West Texas A&M University, David Rausch (Aaron Mullane, OL, 3.84 GPA)
Launched in 2011 by Fidelity and the NFF, the initiative is an extension of the NFF National Scholar-Athlete Awards Program that provides postgraduate scholarships for college football's elite student-athletes. Fidelity, which is also the presenting sponsor of the NFF National Scholar-Athlete Awards, has taken on a leadership role with the initiative as a natural extension of its ongoing support of the scholar-athlete ideal and commitment to higher education nationwide. As part of the initiative, each school with an NFF National Scholar-Athlete receives recognition for their faculty athletics representative, and a $5,000 donation per school ($75,000 total) from Fidelity will be made to support the academic support services for student-athletes at each school.