- In 44 years of football, since moving to the major college ranks in 1969, NIU has had 53 players earn All-America honors, including twelve selections this decade.
- The 2012 season was very successful, three Huskies were recognized with All-American accolades, Quarterback Chandler Harnish, Center Scott Wedige, and Tackle Trevor Olson.
- NIU running backs Chad Spann, Michael Turner, Garrett Wolfe and LeShon Johnson earned numerous national recognitions.
- Currently with the Atlanta Falcons, Turner is NIU's only two-time second team all-American, (2002 & 2003), while Wolfe and Johnson were first team selections. Johnson was a consensus first team All-American in 1993, and Wolfe starred in 2006.
- Eleven Huskies have earned multiple All-America accolades with Garrett Wolfe the only NIU football player to be named to an All-America team three straight years (2004, 2005 & 2006).
- Northern Illinois has also had 11 Freshman All-Americans and 13 Academic All-Americans, with eight freshman honorees since 2000.