2014-15 Internship Opportunities
Graduate Assistant - Compliance
Northern Illinois University, a NCAA Division I institution, member of the Mid-American Conference is seeking qualified applicants for two (2) Graduate Assistants in the area of Compliance. Positions are one year contracts, with one position available starting June 1, 2016, and the other position starting July 1, 2016. These half-time 12-month positions include a tuition waiver and a stipend of $500 per month.
The Graduate Assistant for Compliance is under the general supervision of the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance and Compliance Coordinators and reports to the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Compliance and Administration. This position is responsible will assist with the day-to-day operations of the NCAA compliance area.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position serves as an assistant in compliance. The designated job responsibilities may include extended work hours and sport game-day responsibilities. Assisting with the day-to-day office responsibilities will require interaction with all sport programs, athletic department and university staff, and the general public.
The graduate assistant will be required to assist with the processing and monitoring the following:
- Coaching Staff Limits (Bylaw 11)
- Student-Athlete Community Service Requests (Bylaw 12)
- Athletic Memorabilia Requests (Bylaw 12)
- Student-Athlete Employment (Bylaw 12)
- Student-Athlete Outside Competition (Bylaw 12)
- Contact and Evaluation Logs (Bylaw 13)
- Permission to Contact Requests (Bylaw 13)
- Transfer Information Forms (Bylaw 13)
- Unofficial & Officials Visits (Bylaw 13)
- Academic Eligibility Evaluations (Bylaw 14)
- Participation Rosters (Bylaw 14)
- Sport Travel Rosters (Bylaw 14)
- Exhausted/Medical Student-Athlete Scholarship Program (Bylaw 15)
- Awards (Bylaw 16)
- Occasional Meals (Bylaw 16)
- Countable Athletically Related Activities (Bylaw 17)
The graduate assistant will be required to assist with the preparing and coordinating of the following:
- Student-athlete, coach, staff, and booster educational materials
- Compliance office meeting materials
- NCAA bylaw interpretations
- Athletic department events
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct oneself ethically within the rules and regulations of NIU, the NCAA, and the Mid-American conference.
- As a staff member within the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations, both those general in nature and those which apply directly to your position's responsibilities. Strict adherence to all applicable governing policies, procedures, and regulations of the NCAA is required and is a condition of your employment.
- Assist student-athletes and coaches with the completion of all NCAA and MAC required forms.
- Work directly with the SAASS office in the approval of all community service events.
- Work directly with the Marketing and Ticketing office in the approval of athletic memorabilia requests.
- Review and approve unofficial and official visits.
- Assist in the monitoring of contact and evaluation logs for prospective student-athletes.
- Assist with processing National Letter of Intent (NLI).
- Process transfer tracers for incoming and outgoing student-athletes.
- Track institutional, conference and NCAA student-athlete awards.
- Monitor countable athletically related activities.
- When practical under the circumstances intercollegiate athletic staff are encouraged to voluntarily attend all athletic events to promote audience participation and support for NIU team efforts.
- Attend all staff "Town Hall" meetings and monthly coaches educational sessions.
- Maintain good academic standing throughout appointment.
- Perform other duties as assigned/requested
Bachelor's Degree required
Admission into NIU graduate school
Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms
One year of athletic and/or work experience within intercollegiate athletics
Knowledge of NCAA compliance rules education
Experience working directly with a collegiate student population
To assure full consideration, interested individuals must submit cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, by December 1, 2015, in a single PDF document to Assistant Athletics Director of Compliance, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.