2014-15 Internship Opportunities
HEAD COACH, CROSS COUNTRY
Northern Illinois University, member of the Mid-American Conference and sponsor of 17 Division I sports programs, is seeking applications for the position of Head Cross Country Coach. This is a full-time, 12-month position with benefits. This successful candidate will be responsible for the organization, management, administration, and coaching of a Division I cross country program and part of the track program staff coaching indoor and outdoor track distance events, in conjunction with other department responsibilities.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Three academic years of collegiate coaching experience in cross country and/or track, with a specialty of coaching distance events
- Demonstrated knowledge of and adherence to the governing rules and regulations at the Division I, II, III, NAIA and/or NJCAA level
- Ability to communicate with and relate well to female student-athletes
- Ability to recruit and retain quality student-athletes
- Ability to effectively communicate through oral, written and electronic forms, as well as demonstrated organizational skills
- Master's Degree
- Coaching experience in cross country and/or track, with a specialty of coaching distance events, at the NCAA Division I level
To apply for this position, interested applicants should email (or mail) the following application materials:
- Letter of application which addresses each of the qualifications listed above
- Resume of professional accomplishments and experiences
- Names with contact information of three current professional references
Applications will be immediately reviewed. Preference will be given to complete applications received by 4:30 pm CST, Tuesday, February 17, 2015; however, applications will be accepted until position has been filled. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Send application materials (e-mail preferred) to:
Senior Administrative Assistant
Northern Illinois University
Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
Convocation Center Room 200
DeKalb, IL 60115-2854
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.
GRADUATE ASSISTANT - MARKETING & GAME EXPERIENCE
Northern Illinois University, a NCAA Division I institution, member of the Mid-American Conference is seeking qualified applicants for two (2) Graduate Assistants in the area of Marketing and Game Experience. Positions are one (1) year appointments for a total of two (2) years beginning July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016 and July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017. These 12-month positions include a tuition waiver and a stipend of $1,000 per month.
Graduate Assistants will report to the Assistant Athletics Director of Marketing and Game Experience, with the goal of using marketing and promotions strategies in an effort to generate revenue, increase attendance and create high energy game environments. Working nights, weekends and holidays is an essential function of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties as assigned
- Develop and execute marketing and promotional plans as well as game day production for sports assigned
- Manage and assist with in-game on-field/court promotions at all assigned home events
- Point person for distribution of marketing materials including posters, schedule cards, etc...for assigned sports
- Works with internal stakeholders to execute sponsorship agreements and ticket promotions
- Assists in the execution of marketing and game experience campaigns for Football, Men's Basketball and other sports as needed
- Assists in department initiatives and special projects as assigned
- Comply with the rules, policies and regulations of the department, university, NCAA and the conference
- Oversees growth of Pup Club and/or Red Riot
- Oversees fulfillment of athletic memorabilia requests and/or mascot requests
- Supervise student interns and collaborate with fellow Graduate Assistants
- Coordinate and implement social media programs with athletics communications team
- Office hours and event coverage are required
- Cash handling responsibilities - $5,000 - $10,000 annually
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Currently enrolled or accepted into the NIU Graduate School by Fall 2015
- Ability to effectively communicate through written, oral and electronic forms; Attention to detail is essential
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Previous experience in sports marketing and promotions
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Sport Management, or other related field is preferred
- Strong desire to pursue a career in intercollegiate or professional athletics marketing
- Outgoing personality and ability to deal with people in multiple settings and varied backgrounds
- Ability to develop and initiate unique ideas; work independently with multiple deadline driven projects
- Experience working within/managing a budget
To assure full consideration, interested individuals must submit cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references in a single PDF document to Assistant Athletics Director of Marketing and Game Experience, Morris White via email at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.