2014-15 Internship Opportunities
Associate Athletics Director, Events and Facilities Operations
Northern Illinois University, member of the Mid-American Conference and sponsor of 17 Division I sports, is seeking applications for the full time position of Associate Athletics Director, Events and Facilities Operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for the leadership and management of the event and operational aspects of the Northern Illinois University Athletic Department Facilities. The primary venue focus will be the operations of the Convocation Center and Huskie Stadium, including, but not limited to, revenue generation, facility management and maintenance, managing an outside food and beverage contractor, marketing of venue to external constituents, including concert promoters, maintaining appropriate levels of staffing to ensure adequate operations and safety and working with University and community constituents to create attractive and entertaining events.
Additional specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership and management for the staff involved in any aspect of recruiting, contracting, and hosting events in any athletic department facilities.
- Serve as the overall Department Head for the Convocation Center, with responsibility and oversight for the following areas: facility management and maintenance, managing an outside food and beverage contractor, accomplishment, through event recruitment and marketing and promotion of facilities and events, of specific event and facility rental revenue goals, and annual facility maintenance objectives.
- Recruit, hire and manage staff for the Event and Facilities Operations area.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal capabilities with a compelling ability to build profitable relations with community leaders, vendors, employees, and clients.
- Determine and maintain appropriate levels of staffing to ensure adequate operations and spectator safety and building upkeep and appearance.
- Promote culture of customer service among all staff to enhance all event experiences in all athletic department venues.
- Establish positive working relationships with external constituents, including concert promoters.
- Oversight for emergency response and action plans for all events within athletic department facilities.
- Negotiate and execute contracts, under the supervision of the Office of General Counsel.
- Oversee and coordinate scheduling and facility usage and space.
- Liaison with Campus Security and Safety.
- Collaborative approach to leadership, along with awareness of best approaches to facility management and maintenance.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of five academic years of progressively responsible managerial experience in facility administration
- Ability to effectively develop and nurture internal and external relationships
- Proven track record of leadership in areas of event management and facility maintenance
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage large facility budget
- Ability to work in a dynamic, diverse work environment and proven experience working cooperatively with diverse groups
- Experience negotiating and working with concert and event promoters
- Master's Degree
- 10 years of progressive responsibility in Arena or Conference Center Management
- Experience working at an Institute of Higher Learning Campus
Applicants must email or mail the following:
- Letter of application which addresses each of the qualifications listed above
- Resume of professional accomplishments and experiences
- Names with contact information of three current professional references.
Applications must be received by 5 pm, CST, Monday, July 13, 2015. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Send application materials (e-mail preferred) to:
Office Support Associate, Intercollegiate Athletics
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2854
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.