2014-15 Internship Opportunities
Assistant Athletic Trainer
Northern Illinois University (NIU), member of the Mid-American Conference and sponsor of 17 Division I sports, is seeking applications for a full-time, 12 month position of Assistant Athletic Trainer. The successful candidate will be a member of a team of health professionals within Intercollegiate Athletics charged with prevention of athletic injuries and care for approximately 400 student-athletes with specific sport and travel assignment of women's basketball.
Primary responsibilities include general healthcare assistance to all intercollegiate student-athletes (including evaluations, referrals, treatments, rehabilitations and record keeping); specific sport team coverage with women's basketball (including travel, nights, weekends and holiday work schedules); administrative responsibilities as assigned; possible preceptor status in the NIU undergraduate athletic training education program; and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree
- NATA Certification
- Illinois License eligible (must be Illinois licensed prior to start of employment)
- Minimum of two academic years experience as a certified athletic trainer, some of which must be in a school or clinic setting
- Working knowledge of and adherence to applicable NCAA rules and regulations
- Ability to communicate with and relate to student-athletes, coaches and support staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to use relevant computer software
- Master's Degree
- Postgraduate athletic training experience at the university or college level
- Experience with NCAA Division I student-athletes highly desirable
Applicants must email or mail the following which addresses each of the qualifications listed above:
- Letter of application which addresses each of the qualifications listed above
- Resume of professional accomplishments and experiences
- Names with contact information of three current professional references
Preference will be given to complete applications received by Monday, October 12, 2015; however, applications will be accepted until position has been filled. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Send application materials (e-mail preferred) to:
Director of Personnel, Athletics
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2854
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check. In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.