Jan. 11, 2014
Game Notes in PDF
Northern Illinois Huskies (6-7, 0-1 MAC) at Bowling Green Falcons (6-8, 0-1 MAC)
Date / Time: Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014 / 3:30 p.m. (4:30 p.m. ET)
Site: Stroh Center • Bowling Green, Ohio
Radio: WLBK 1360-AM, 98.9-FM in DeKalb, Ill. • WJOL 1340-AM in Joliet, Ill. • WRMN 1410-AM in Elgin, Ill. • NIUTube (NIUHuskies.com)
Live Video: mac-sports.com
Live Stats: BGSUFalcons.com
Twitter Updates: @NIUscores
All-time Series: Bowling Green leads 30-25
Last Meeting: Feb. 6, 2013 • Bowling Green 57-41
• Darrell Bowie has scored in double figures seven times this season, he is also averaging 7.3 rebounds per game, ninth-best in the MAC.
• Travon Baker leads NIU in steals, he has had three steals in each of the last two games.
• Aaron Armstead ranks eighth in the MAC in free throw percentage, shooting 81.8 percent from the charity stripe. Armstead has averaged 8.8 points per game over the last five games.
• In the last two games since returning to the starting lineup for an injured Dontel Highsmith, Aaric Armstead has averaged 9.0 points and 4.0 rebounds per game.
• Senior Aksel Bolin is closing in on 100 career games played. Bolin has appeared in 96 games in his Huskie career, including 80 consecutive appearances.
• Leading scorer Dontel Highsmith will miss the remainder of the 2013-14 season after tearing his ACL at Iowa State (Dec. 31).
• The Huskies are shooting 75 percent (93-of-124) from the free-throw line in the last five games.
ABOUT BOWLING GREEN
• The Falcons have a 6-8 overall record, 0-1 in Mid-American Conference play after dropping a 56-51 decision to Eastern Michigan this past Wednesday (Jan. 8). Bowling Green is 4-3 at home this season.
• Five players are averaging in double figures for the Falcons, led by 14.4 points per game from Richaun Holmes. Spencer Parker (12.8 ppg), Jehvon Clarke (11.9 ppg) and Anthony Henderson (10.6 ppg) are also scoring in double figures. Chauncey Orr, the son of head coach Louis Orr, is averaging 14 points per contest, but has appeared in just one game this season.
• Four players for the Falcons rank in the top eight in the MAC in minutes played: Jehvon Clarke (1st, 34.7), Spencer Parker (2nd, 34.1), Anthony Henderson (3rd, 33.7) and Richaun Holmes (8th, 30.9).
THE LAST MEETING
• Bowling Green scored 11 of the first 12 points of the game en route to a 57-41 victory over the Huskies last season at the NIU Convocation Center.
• The Falcons shot 43.1 percent from the field while holding NIU to just 27.5 percent shooting. The Huskies shot 45.5 percent (10-of-22) in the second half after shooting just 13.8 percent (4-of-29) in the opening 20 minutes.
• A’uston Calhoun recorded a double-double for Bowling Green with 15 points and 12 rebounds.
THE ALL-TIME SERIES
• Bowling Green leads the all-time series, 30-25. The Falcons have won seven-straight in the series against the Huskies.
• NIU’s last victory in the series was a 73-51 win in DeKalb on Feb. 7, 2007.
• The Falcons have a 20-10 edge all-time in games played in Bowling Green. The last time NIU won at Bowling Green was on Jan. 11, 2006 (75-74).
• This will be NIU’s second appearance at the Stroh Center. The Huskies fell to Bowling Green, 65-40, on Feb. 4, 2012, in their first trip to the building.
BACK ON THE ROAD
• NIU closes a stretch which saw the Huskies play six of seven games away from home when they travel to Bowling Green.
• The Huskies have played just one home game since Dec. 5, a 65-51 victory over Bethune-Cookman on Jan. 3.
• NIU has traveled from coast-to-coast during the seven-game stretch, playing at UMass on Dec. 14 and at UC Riverside on Dec. 22.
• Conference play opened with the longest trip in the MAC as NIU went to Buffalo for the MAC opener.
• Following the contest against Bowling Green, NIU will play three of its next four at home, hosting Kent State and Ohio, before traveling to Toledo, and wrapping the stretch with a home date against Buffalo.