April 3, 2013
- Northern Illinois is one-third of the way through its 2013 spring football practices and Head Coach Rod Carey says he likes the way the Huskies have approached the five practices to date. "I like the way we're competing. I like the way we're juiced to practice. They are excited to get out here and work."
- With top returning tailbacks Akeem Daniels and Keith Harris Jr. not yet participating in full drills, Giorgio Bowers, Cameron Stingily and Alex Morrow are getting the majority of the reps at tailback for the Huskies. Bowers displayed some tough running Wednesday and also threw several key blocks to spring his quarterbacks.
- A year ago, NIU had just two quarterbacks participating in spring ball in Jordan Lynch and Matt McIntosh. During a couple practices that Lynch sat out, McIntosh, then a freshman in his first spring at NIU, took every rep. This year, the NIU quarterback corps has been doubled as freshmen Matt Williams and Drew Hare have been added to the mix. In 2012, McIntosh was the freshman in his first spring, now he is the "wily" veteran sophomore with game experience under his belt.
- During Wednesday's two-hour practice, a significant portion of the full pads workout was devoted to fundamentals and "mental reps" as the offense and defense ran plays without the ball.
- Once the ball was back in play during "pass skel" (7-on-7), the quarterbacks spread it around to multiple receivers including Da'Ron Brown, Tommylee Lewis and Jacob Brinlee as well as tight ends Desroy Maxwell and Tim Semisch. During "team" competition at the end of practice, it was Brinlee with the 25-yard touchdown catch from Matt McIntosh.
- Practice No. 6 is scheduled for Friday at 3:55 p.m. (CT) at Huskie Stadium.
-- NIU --
Facebook: NIU Huskies