Jan. 20, 2013
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team opened its 2013 campaign Sunday afternoon at nationally ranked Minnesota (35). The Huskies showed some solid play against the Golden Gophers but fell, 6-1.
"It's hard to say how I feel about our first match of the season," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher after the match, "we played one of the top teams in the Big Ten and we knew this would be a challenge for us.
"Unfortunately we couldn't get enough points to put more pressure on Minnesota when we needed them and when we are looking to upset a team like (Minnesota), we can't miss our opportunities and expect to win. Unfortunately that's the level we're at right now."
NIU sophomore Frederic Cadieux (Verdun, Quebec, Canada) led the way for the Huskies in singles, clinching the Huskies point versus the Golden Gophers at No. 3. After dropping the first set, 6-4, the Nordique rallied back in the second and third set, 6-3, and won 13-10 in the tiebreaking set.
Transfer Jovan Zeljkovic (Banja Luka, Bosnia) also played well in singles, falling just short of his first spring victory as a Huskie at No. 5. After falling in his first set, 6-3, to Ruben Weber, Zeljkovic bounced back in the second set with 6-4 triumph to draw even. In the final set however, Weber defeated the Southern Miss transfer, 10-6.
The Golden Gophers took the early advantage over the Huskies in doubles, earning a sweep in their three matches. The No. 2 NIU duo of Max Phiilips (Berkhamstead, England) and Zeljkovic battled in their match to a 7-3 score but did not finish as the other matches clinched the UM point.
Northern Illinois will play a pair of home openers next Friday, when it hosts UW-Whitewater and MAC foe Chicago State January 25. Matches are slated to begin at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively.
No. 35 Minnesota 6, Northern Illinois 1
January 20, 2013
Baseline Tennis Center (Minneapolis, Minn.)
1. No. 24 Bonin/Fromont (UM) def. Amir/Cadieux (NIU) 8-2
2. Toledo/Ramerez (UM) def. Phillips/Zeljkovic (NIU) 7-3 (DNF)
3. Hamburg/Frueh (UM) def. Lagerlof/Formont (NIU) 8-0
1. No. 40 Rok Bonin (UM) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 63 Leandro Toledo (UM) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Mathieu Fromont (UM) 4-6, 6-3 (13-11)
4. Juan Pablo Ramirez (UM) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 6-4, 7-5 (5)
5. Ruben Weber (UM) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-3, 4-6 (10-6)
6. Jack Hamburg (UM) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 6-1-6-3