Jan. 26, 2013
DeKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team swept its home-opener Friday night at Boylan Tennis Center to improve to 2-1 on the year with a 6-1 over Wisconsin Whitewater and a 7-0 triumph over Chicago State. The Huskies are 1-0 in the Mid-American Conference with the win over the Cougars.
The Huskies lone point to the Riverhawks was surrendered in doubles, with UWW taking Nos. 2 and 3. NIU's No. 1 pair of Dor Amir and Frederic Cadieux defeated Ben Shklyar and Mitch Osborne, 8-2. The team rallied back in singles with a clean sweep of singles play, led by Cadieux's 6-0, 6-2 victory at No. 3. Northern Illinois would claim straight set victories at Nos. 1 through 4.
In the evenings final affair, the Huskies took on the Cougars and made a clean sweep of them on the scoreboard. After NIU clinched the doubles point, the teams decided to end doubles and begin singles play. NIU's Simon Formont and Max Phillips finished deadlocked with Chicago State's Jean Paul Jones and Julian Chavez, 5-5, to close doubles. Northern Illinois would go on to sweep all of its singles matches, winning in two sets in four-of-six matches.
The Huskies will return to the court next Friday afternoon when it hosts Valparaiso and Dayton. Matches are slated to begin at 1 and 5 p.m., respectively, at Boylan Tennis Center.
Northern Illinois 6, Wisconsin-Whitewater 1
Boylan Tennis Center
1. Amir/Cadieux (NIU) def. Shklyar/Osborne (UWW) 8-2
2. McGlashen/Bayliss (UWW) def. Zeljkovic/Lagerlof (NIU) 8-3
3. Balkin/Kevin Friend (UWW) def. Formont/Phillips (NIU)
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Ben Shklyar (UWW) 6-0, 7-6 (2)
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Byron Balkin (UWW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. defeated Andy McGlashen (UWW) 6-0, 6-2
4. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Andrew Bayliss (UWW) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Mitch Osborne (UWW) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
6. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Brian Klein (UWW) 7-5, 4-6, 6-1
Northern Illinois 7, Chicago State 0
Boylan Tennis Center
1. Amir/Cadieux (NIU) def. Noboa/Muresan (CSU) 8-5
2. Formont/Phillips (NIU) vs. Jones/Chavez (CSU) 5-5 (DNF)
3. Lagerlof/Lagutin (NIU def. Yeremia/Ulloa (CSU) 8-2
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Sergiu Muresan (CSU) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-4
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Mario Noboa (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Julian Chavez (CSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Max Phillips (NIU) Rashley Yeremia (CSU) 7-5, 5-7, 10-4
5. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Jean Paul Jones (CSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) def. Luis Ulloa (CSU) 6-1, 6-4