Jan. 28, 2012
ROCKFORD, ill. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team opened its flawlessly with a pair of wins over Division III power Wisconsin-Whitewater, 7-0, and Butler, 5-2. It is the first time the Huskies have opened the season 2-0 since at least 2004.
"A lot of good things came out of today," said Fisher "Dor (Amir) and Frederic (Cadieux) got their first wins as Huskies and it was nice to see Mikhail (Titov) back on the court after a long recovery from an injury he sustained last year.
"Considering we had three new guys in the line-up, we played pretty good today, but we are a long way from where this team can be, particularly in doubles. We had the doubles point won against Butler and we gave them the point by beating ourselves. We gave up 3-0 leads at Nos. 2 and 3. We have to be smarter in those situations especially when we are serving. We will take this week to improve and be better next week."
Northern Illinois opened the double-header versus Whitewater and quickly swept doubles. Roman Turtygin and Mikhail Titov teamed at No. 1 in Titov's first return to the spring court since 2010, and defeated Byron Balkin and Andrew Bayliss, 8-4.
Dor Amir and and Frederic Cadieux won their first collegiate matches, with Amir defeating Erik Scanlan, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4 and Cadieux at No. 6, dropping Brady Porter, 6-1, 6-1.
The Huskies swept the Warhawks and did not a third tiebreaking set in any of the six singles matches.
Versus Butler, NIU quickly found itself in a deficit by dropping the doubles point to the Bulldogs. Axel Lagerlof and Amir were the lone winners at No. 2 doubles in the contest with their 8-5 triumph over Zach Ervin and Sam O'Neill.
The Huskies were able to snap back at the Bulldogs by taking five of the six singles matches. Only No. 1 Maksym Bartiuk lost to a Butler opponent, falling to Austin Waldmoe in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
The Huskies will return to action Sunday Feb. 5 for a contest at Indiana. The match will begin at 4 p.m. central time.
Northern Illinois 7, UW-Whitewater 0
1. Balkin/Bayliss (WW) def. Mikhail Titov/Turtygin (NIU) 8-4
2. Lagerlof/Amir (NIU) def. Bayliss/Cameron Laktash (WW) 8-2
3. Bartiuk/Cadieux (NIU) def. Scanlan/Kevin Friend (WW) 8-3
1. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Byron Balkin (WW) 6-2, 6-2
2. Roman Turtygin, (NIU) def. Andrew Bayliss (WW) 6-3, 6-1
3. Axel Lagerolf, (NIU) def. Mitch Osborne (WW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Dor Amir, (NIU) def. Erik Scanlan (WW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Brian Klein (WW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Brady Porter (WW), 6-1, 6-1
Northern Illinois 5, Butler 2
1. Woldmoe/Weldon (BU) def. Titov/Turtygin (NIU) 8-1
2. Lagerlof/Amir (NIU) def. Ervin/O'Neill (BU) 8-5
3. Marx/McLoughlin (BU) def. Bartiuk/Cadeiux (NIU) 8-6
1. Austin Woldmoe (BU) def. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def.Tommy Marx (BU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Steve McLoughlin (BU) 6-4, 7-6
4. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Zach Ervin (BU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
5. Mikhail Titov (NIU) def. Pulok Bhattacharya (BU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Frederic Cadeiux (NIU) def. Sam O'Neill (BU) 6-1, 6-4