Feb. 3, 2013
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Northern Illinois improved to 5-1 for the first-time ever under Head Coach Patrick Fisher Sunday afternoon, following its 4-2 victory over in-state foe Illinois-Chicago.
"Well, we won today, but honestly I wasn't very pleased with how we won," said Fisher after the match. "We did not do a good job of playing the way we wanted to play and that was kind of disappointing. We were dominating doubles (at the start) and we didn't finish. Our mental focus on finishing matches needs to improve big-time if we intend on having a good season this year."
The Huskies had opportunities to win in today's doubles contest, but were unable to clinch the point after clinching both doubles points in Friday's doubleheader. At No. 1 Dor Amir and Frederic Cadieux lost their match, 8-5, and Axel Lagerlof and Simon Formont at No. 2 lost a tight tie-breaking contest, 8-7.
NIU overcame the 1-0 deficit in singles though through solid play, clinching 4-of-5 finished singles matches. All of the aforementioned Huskies gained redemption in their singles matches with victories.
Lagerlof dominated in a 6-4, 6-0 victory at No. 1, as did Amir at No. 2 and Formont at No. 5. Amir sealed won with a 6-3, 6-4 victory and Formont won, 6-3, 6-3. Cadieux worked for his victory at No. 2 as he won in three sets, 1-6, 6-2, 6-3. The Verdun, Quebec, Canada native is now 6-0 in singles play this season.
The Huskies are now 5-1 to start the season for the first time ever under Coach Fisher and the first time since at least 2006.
Northern Illinois will return to action next weekend down South when it takes on SIU-Edwardsville and Saint Louis Feb. 8 and 9, respectively
Northern Illinois 4, UIC 2
Boylan Tennis Center
1. Raa/Kamath (UIC) def. Amir/Cadieux (NIU) 8-5
2. Cole/Reifer (UIC) def. Lagerlof/Formont (NIU) 8-7
3. Lloveras/Oroskar (UIC) def. Phillips/Zeljkovic (NIU) DNF 7-5
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) 6-4, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Alex Raa (UIC) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-3, 6-4
4. Max Phillips (NIU) vs. Chris Cole (UIC) DNF 6-4, 6-6
5. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 6-3, 6-3
6. Rahul Kamath (UIC) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-4. 2-6, 6-3