Feb. 5, 2012
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - While most of the country watched a football game, the Northern Illinois men's tennis team took on the Indiana Hoosiers at the IU Indoor Tennis Center. The Huskies fell to the nationally ranked Hoosiers (No. 27) 7-0.
"We had our chances against a good team," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher after the match. "Axel played hard, Mikhail (Titov) was up 4-3 in his first set and Frederic (Cadieux) won his first set.
"Indiana's a good team and once they got the first set under their belt, they were able to play relaxed and that's what good teams do - They're relentless when they play into those situations."
NIU's No. 2 doubles pair of Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof, the Huskies only undefeated doubles pair this season, battled long and hard with IU's Josh MacTaggart and Alastair Barnes. Amir and Lagerlof took the match down to the wire but fell to the Hoosier pair, 8-7.
Freshman Frederic Cadieux started his match at No. 6 on the right foot, taking his first set 6-4 and putting him in the drivers seat against Stephen Vogl. Vogl then opened strong in the second set and tied the match with his 6-2 set triumph. With the rest of the singles matches over, the duo played a final tie-breaking game with the first point earning the win and Vogl took the set and the match, 1-0.
In closing, Fisher said "We're looking forward to coming home with two matches at home against IPFW and SIU-Edwardsville."
The Huskies are now 2-1 in the duel season, while the Hoosiers improve to 6-2. NIU will return to action Friday Feb. 10 for their matches against IPFW (1 p.m.) and SIU-Edwardsville (5 p.m.) at Rockford's Boylan Tennis Center.
1. Juneau/Langer (IU) def. Titov/Turtygin (NIU) 8-4
2. MacTaggart/Barnes (IU) def. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) 8-7
3. Kendall/Vogl (IU) def. Bartiuk/Cadieux (NIU) 8-1
ORDER OF FINISH: 3, 1, 2
1. Isade Juneau (IU) def. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Josh MacTaggart (IU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Dimitrije Tasic (IU) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Alastair Barnes (IU) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Will Kendall (IU) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Stephen Vogl (IU) Frederic Cadieux (NIU) 4-6, 6-2, 1-0
ORDER OF FINISH: 1, 5, 2, 4, 3, 6