Feb. 12, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team, fresh off a pair of wins last Friday against SIUE and IPFW, traveled to No. 73 Drake to close its weekend. The Huskies were not able to keep their winning-streak alive against the Bulldogs and fell to the nationally ranked opponent, 7-0.
"We just didn't play our best tennis today," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher after the match, "Drake came out early and set the tone in doubles and we weren't able to recover after that. We've raised our expectations with the program and the guys are taking this loss pretty hard. Our losses this season have come at the hands of some of the best teams in the country and we're looking to compete against these guys."
NIU's No. 3 pair freshman Frederic Cadieux and junior Max Phillips played the closest match in doubles for the Huskies, falling 8-4 to the Bulldogs pair of James McKie and Ben Mullis. DU went on to win the other two doubles matches to sweep Northern Illinois.
In singles, Huskies Axel Lagerlof and Dor Amir were NIU's top performers against the Bulldogs at Roger Knapp Tennis Center this afternoon. Lagerlof, playing at No. 2, opened singles with a first set victory, 6-3, over Jean Erasmus and fell in the second set to similar 6-3 score. In the third and final set, Malmo, Sweden native and Erasmus played a closely contested match, but the Bulldog won the set and match with his 10-7 victory.
Amir, a native of Israel, had a very similar match to Lagerlof's, winning his first set, 6-3, and falling in the second, 6-4. Amir's opponent, Alen Salibasic, went on to win the tiebreaker, 10-6, to claim the match.
The Huskies will return home next weekend for its longest stretch in Rockford of the season, seven matches and three-straight weekends, for a pair of contests Feb. 17 against Valparaiso and IUPUI. The matches will start at 1 p.m. and 6 p.m., respectively.
1. Bracho/Salibasic (DU) def. Amir/Lagerof (NIU), 8-1
2. Eramus/Goodman (DU) def. Titov/Turtygin (NIU), 8-3
3. McKie/Mullis (DU) def. Cadieux/Phillips (NIU), 8-4
Order of finish: (1,2,3)
1. James McKie (DU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU), 6-0, 6-1
2. Jean Erasmus (DU) def. Axel Lagerof (NIU), 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
3. Alen Salibasic (DU) def. Dor Amir (NIU), 3-6, 6-4, 10-6
4. Robin Goodman (DU) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU), 6-3, 6-0
5. Ben Mullis (DU) def. Frederic Cadieux (NIU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Cesar Bracho (DU) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: (6,1,4,2,5,3)