Feb. 14, 2014
IOWA CITY, Iowa - On Friday evening, the Northern Illinois men's tennis team took on the Iowa Buckeyes (4-0) at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Huskies struggled in this one, losing 5-2. The loss drops the team's record to 6-3 on the season.
"This loss falls on me," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. "I did not have our guys ready for this. Much credit should go to Iowa. They played as if they were the underdogs, and they showed they wanted it more. We played poorly in doubles, which set the tone for the rest of the match. That forced us to fight an uphill battle all night."
Doubles play featured some tightly contested matches with two going to a tie break. The Huskies took the No. 1 doubles match as Axel Lagerlof and Dor Amir bested Brian Alden and Michael Swank in an 8-7 (7-4) final. Simon Formont and Frederic Cadieux came up just short in the No. 3 match, falling to Hawkeyes Matt Hagan and Joey White, 8-7 (8-6). NIU also dropped the No. 2 match, leading to an early 1-0 hole.
It didn't get easier in singles play. NIU did put together some strong efforts, but they weren't enough to push the team ahead. Dor Amir pulled a comeback on Iowa's Juan Estenssoro, winning his match in the No. 2, 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7). Simon Formont continued his impressive start to 2014 in singles play, as he defeated Swank in the No. 6, 6-1, 6-4. Formont is now 9-0 in singles matches this year. These wins got NIU on the board, but Iowa took the other matches in singles play, handing NIU a 5-2 defeat.
The Huskies will head back home for a morning match on Sunday, February 16. At 10:00 a.m. NIU will take on IUPUI at the Boylan Tennis Center in Rockford, Ill.
Iowa 5, NIU 2
1. Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Brian Alden (IOWA) def. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-6)
4. Matt Hagan (IOWA) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Dominic Patrick (IOWA) def. Matt Lynch (NIU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Michael Swank (IOWA) 6-1, 6-4
1. #37 Dor Amir/Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Brian Alden/Michael Swank (IOWA) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Jonas Dierckx/Juan Estenssoro (IOWA) def. Matt Lynch/Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-4
3. Matt Hagan/Joey White (IOWA) def. Frederic Cadieux/Simon Formont (NIU) 8-7 (8-6)