Feb. 18, 2012
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team extended its home unbeaten streak to six games Friday, defeating a pair of Hoosier State schools. The Huskies openedagainst Valparaiso and defeated the Crusaders, 6-1, and closed against IUPUI, 5-2.
"We had a good day today and I feel we improved from last week," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher after the day. "Really proud of our guy's we really challenged them after our match with Drake last week as we did not play at all to our potential and our guy's were motivated to be better this week in all phases and from how we carried ourselves today against Valpo and IUPUI we were in control of both matches and that's tough to do when you play a doubleheader.
The Huskies opened the day against Valpo and made a straight sweep in doubles, including a perfect 8-0 win by Max Phillips and Bryan Poggensee-Wei over Sidd Mehta and Mike Woodson. Making his season-debut at No. 6 for NIU was Maksym Lagutin, who played in good form against Mehta, winning in straight sets, 6-0, 6-2.
Fisher closed by saying "it seems like I say this a lot about our team, but we still are not even close to where I think this team can perform if we can just concentrate on improving week by week and stay healthy I think this team can be something special. Good team effort all around today, looking forward to seeing where we go from here"
Northern Illinois came back in the evening against IUPUI and again took the doubles point. No. 1 Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof won its match, 8-4, and Frederic Cadieux and Roman Turtygin at No. 2 grinded out their victory, 8-7. Lagerlof, Amir, Cadieux and Phillips won in singles to clinch the Huskies six-consecutive victory at home.
Northern Illinois returns to action Saturday when it hosts Dayton and Western Illinois. NIU and Flyers square off at 10 a.m., while the match with the LEathernecks starts at 2 p.m.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 6, VALPARAISO 1
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Baum/Whitmer (VU) 8-4
2. Cadieux/Turtygin (NIU) def. Honert/DeHerrera (VU) 8-7
3. Phillips/Wei (NIU) def. Mehta/Woodson (VU) 8-0
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Baum/Whitmer (VU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Eric Honert (VU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Kevin DeHerrera (VU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Adam Whitmer (VU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Max Phillips ((NIU) def. Mike Woodson (VU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) def. Sidd Mehta (VU) 6-0, 6-2
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 5, IUPUI 2
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. O'Neill/Bielawski (IUPUI) 8-5
2. Cadieux/Turtygin (NIU) def. Modesitt/Emerson (IUPUI) 8-1
3. Shafer/Gans (IUPUI) def. Phillips/Wei (NIU) 8-1
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-3
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Luke Bielawski (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-0
3. Chase Emerson (IUPUI) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 7-6, 1-6, 15-13
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-3
5. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Ivan Mojsejev (IUPUI) 6-4, 6-2
6. Armaan Choudhary (IUPUI) def. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) 6-1, 6-1