Feb. 22, 2014
ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Huskies finished off their tennis matches for the weekend with two victories against Western Illinois (1-6) and Dayton (1-6) on Saturday at the Boylan Tennis Center. NIU started the day with a 7-0 victory over Western Illinois. In the evening, the Huskies took down Dayton, 4-0. With the wins, NIU improves its record to 10-3.
"This was a long day for us," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. "We played well in doubles today. I was really impressed the way Fred [Cadieux] played and happy to see Matt [Lynch] back. He is getting better each match. The same goes for Carlos [Manzanas]."
The Huskies put in a strong performance from start to finish against the Western Illinois Leathernecks, as the team took each much in the affair en route to a 7-0 victory. In doubles, Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof kept their strong season going with an 8-6 win over Christoph Haertel and Mitch Granger in the No. 1.
Frederic Cadieux and Simon Formont followed with a win in the No. 2. They defeated Brandon Meeker and Max Dederkall, 8-2. Matt Lynch and Jovan Zeljkovic finished off doubles play with another NIU win. This one was an 8-2 victory over Chris Bunch and Brett Fermanski.
Singles play featured some tense matches and dominant performances in the match against Western Illinois. In the No. 2, Amir went against Granger. Two sets weren't enough to decide a victor here as the players headed to a super tie break. It was of the extended variety, and Amir was able to get the victory, 6-2, 6-7, (13-11).
In the No. 3, Zeljkovic faced Cederkall. The Huskie went down early when he dropped the first set, 2-6. He came charging back for the remained of the match however, eventually winning 2-6, 6-2, 6-3. Carlos Manzanas
had a dominant performance in the No. 5. He did not allow Bunch to take a single game, winning 6-0, 6-0.
Having defeated the Leathernecks 7-0, the Huskies moved on to the Dayton Flyers in the evening cap. Like the first, NIU did not lose a single match. However, this one was shortened a bit, leading to a 4-0 victory for the Huskies.
In doubles play, Amir and Lagerlof put in another strong performance, this time against Aidan Koross and Bernardo Sanson. The NIU tandem took an 8-1 victory in the match, and they are now 12-1 this season. Lynch and Zeljkovic finished things off with an 8-0 victory in the No. 3 over Andy Druffel and Kyle McDonald to give NIU an early 1-0 lead.
In singles, three matches ended up not finishing. NIU claimed the other three to seal a victory in the match. Cadieux repeated his performance in his afternoon match in the No. 1. Facing Koross, he took another victory, 6-3, 6-0.
Lynch was forced to make a comeback in the No. 5, where he played against Druffel. The Huskie lost the first set, 2-6. He turned it around in the next two sets though, eventually winning 2-6, 6-1, 7-5. In the No. 6, Carlos Manzanas picked up his second win of the day. It was a 6-1, 6-3 victory over McDonald.
The Huskies have an extended break before they start their upcoming travels. The next match for this team will be on Thursday, March 6 at Marquette. It will be played at 6:00 p.m.
NIU 7, Western Illinois 0
1. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Christoph Haertel (WIU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-2, 6-7, (13-11)
3. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Max Cederkall (WIU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Brandon Meeker (WIU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Chris Bunch (WIU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Brett Furmanski (WIU) 6-3, 6-1
1. No. 37 Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Haertel/Granger (WIU) 8-6
2. Cadieux/Formont (NIU) def. Meeker/Cederkall (WIU) 8-3
3. Lynch/Zelkovic (NIU) def. Bunch/Furmanski (WIU) 8-2
NIU 4, Dayton 0
1. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Aidan Koross (Dayton) 6-3, 6-0
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) vs. Bernardo Sanson (Dayton) DNF
3. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) vs. Andrew Hanley (Dayton) DNF
4. Simon Formont (NIU) vs. Josh Malyon (Dayton) DNF
5. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Andy Druffel (Dayton) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Kyle McDonald (Dayton) 6-1, 6-3
1. No. 37 Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Koross/Sanson (Dayton) 8-1
2. Cadieux/Formont (NIU) vs. Malyon/Hanley (Dayton) DNF
3. Lynch/Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Druffel/McDonald (Dayton) 8-0