Feb. 26, 2012
ROCKFORD, Ill. – The Northern Illinois men’s tennis team lost its first home match of the season, falling 5-2 to Cleveland State at Boylan Tennis Center. The Huskies snapped their eight-match home unbeaten streak against the Vikings.
“We let one slip away today,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “After winning the first five sets in singles we were in complete control and we didn’t finish the job and that’s really disappointing. There’s not much to say other than that. When we get up on somebody we need to finish and we didn't. I believe in our guys though. I know we will be in this position again and we will learn from today.”
Freshman Dor Amir and sophomore Axel Lagerlof won at No. 1 doubles, 8-6, but the Huskies were unable to come up with another victory at Nos. 2 or 3 and lost the doubles point.
Amir came up in singles as well with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Ali Shabib at No. 2. Newcomer Frederic Cadieux also won for the Huskies at No. 4, defeating Jorg van der Vloet, 6-3, 7-6. In the rest of the matches, the Huskies were unable to leg out the third and final set to overcome the Vikings lead and fell 5-2.
Northern Illinois is now 8-3 this season and lost its first home match of the season. The Huskies return to action March 3 for a doubleheader against Southern Illinois and Eastern Illinois and will travel to Wisconsin March 4.
Cleveland State 5, Northern Illinois 2
Boylan Tennis Center
1. Amir/ Lagerlof (NIU) def. Shabih/Marks (CSU) 8-6
2. Goossens/Ford (CSU) def. Turtygin/Cadieux (NIU) 8-5
3. Van der Vloet/Kuelker (CSU) def. Phillips/Titov (NIU) 8-4
1. Yannick Goossens (NIU) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Ali Shabib (CSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Matt Kuelker (CSU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Nolan Marks (CSU) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU) 1-6, 6-4, 7-6
6. Matt Ford (CSU) def. Mikhail Titov (NIU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4