March 4, 2013
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Busting its non-conference skid Sunday afternoon, the Northern Illinois men's tennis team completed its weekend when it defeated IUPUI in Indianapolis, 5-2. The win is NIU's eighth of the season and puts the Huskies 8-4 on the season heading into their spring trip.
A day removed from being swept in doubles versus Butler, NIU won the doubles point against the Jaguars, winning at Nos. 1 and 3. Both pairs - Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof at No. 1, and Frederic Cadieux and Jovan Zeljkovic at No. 3 - won their matches, 8-5, to clinch Northern Illinois' first point of the match.
Amir, Lagerlof and Cadieux made a sweep at Nos. 1-3 And Jovan Zeljkovic won at No. 5 in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, over IUPUI in the match.
The Huskies were very near victory at No. 4 against IUPUIbut Simon Formont fell to Armaan Choudhary, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4.
After the match, Head Coach Patrick Fisher said "We just are not playing consistent right now. We're good one day, and not the next. We have to be honest with ourselves this first half of the season.
"We have two issues: consistent doubles play, and positions 4, 5 and 6. We have to improve in those two areas or we will be on the outside looking in (moving forward this season). On the flip side, we're very capable of doing that."
The Huskies will return to action Friday afternoon when it heads up to Milwaukee, Wis. for a match with Marquette.
Northern Illinois 5, IUPUI 2
March 3, 2013
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Vole/Bradley (IUPUI) 8-5
2. Shafer/Maduelt (IUPUI) def. Formont/Lagutin ( NIU) 8-5
3. Cadieux/Zeljkovic ( NIU) def. J/Hadderly (IUPUI) 8-5
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-1
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Nick Volz (IUPUI) 6-1, 6-4
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Deon Shafer (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
4. Armaan Choudhary (IUPUI) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Louis Sacks (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-4
6. Joel Modesitt (IUPUI) def. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) 6-3, 6-4
Butler 5, Northern Illinois 2
March 2, 2013
1. Woldmoe/Weldon (BU) def. Formont/Lagutin (NIU) 8-3
2. Bhattacharya/Marx (BU) vs. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) 7-2 DNF
3. O’Neill/Woods (BU) def. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-2
1. Austin Woldmoe (BU) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Pulok Bhattacharya (BU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Tommy Marx (BU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Sam O’Neill (BU) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
5. Billy Weldon (BU) def. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Brandon Woods (BU) def. Jovan Zeljkovic 4-6, 6-4, 10-7