March 8, 2013
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – For the first time-ever under Head Coach Patrick Fisher, the Northern Illinois men’s tennis team defeated Marquette, 4-3. The Huskies improved to 9-4 with the win to open their spring break, 1-0.
“I am really proud of our Huskies,” said Fisher, “we hunted in a pack and stayed together all night. For that are reward is a BCS win. Our program continues to smash records and make great history, but that’s what it is now – history. It's great we accomplished it but we still need to improve on the two areas we have been talking about all season – doubles and lower half of the line-up.”
With wins by Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof, and Frederic Cadieux and Jovan Zeljkovic at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles, respectively, the Huskies clinched the early point in the match. Both pairs won convincingly in their matches as Amir and Lagerlof won, 8-3, and Cadieux and Zeljkovic won, 8-4.
In singles play, Amir and Cadieux won again to give Northern Illinois three points in the match. Amir defeated Vukasin Teofanovic, 6-4, 7-6, while Cadieux grinded out his match against Logon Collins in three sets, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2. Simon Formont clinched the match at No. 6 with his three set thriller, defeating James Stark, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6.
Northern Illinois defeated the Golden Eagles for the first time since at least 2006 with its 4-3 victory.
The Huskies will return to action Monday night at Stetson to open their spring break trip in Florida. NIU and the Hatters will begin at 6 p.m. Central.
Northern Illinois 4, Marquette 3
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Mamalat/Teofanovic (MU) 8-3
2. Collins/Tehrani (MU) def. Phillips/Formont (NIU) 8-2
3. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Packowitc/Skly (MU) 8-4
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 6-3, 7-6
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Logon Collins (MU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
4. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gleb Sklyr (MU) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Simon Formont (NIU) def. James Stark (MU) 6-4, 6-7, 7-6