March 11, 2013
DELAND, Fla. – The Northern Illinois men’s tennis opened its three-match trip in Florida Monday afternoon, falling to Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center, 5-2. The Huskies own a 9-5 record, while the Hatters extend their unbeaten streak to 7-0.
Northern Illinois earned its two points at the top-two spots in the lineup with victories by Axel Lagerlof and Frederic Cadieux. Lagerlof put in one of the team’s most impressive performances of the year at No. 1 when he defeated Didrik Berg, 6-0, 6-0. Cadieux also won in two-set fashion as he defeated Laurynas Antropikas, 6-4, 6-2.
NIU’s Dor Amir and Jovan Zeljkovic played to three sets in their matches at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively, but were unable to pull out victories. Amir lost his match, 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-4) while Zeljkovic fell, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3.
The Huskies will return to the court tomorrow afternoon when they take on Appalachian State in Orlando, Fla.
Stetson 5, Northern Illinois 2
Mandy Stoll Tennis Center
1. Antropikas/Riseng (STET) def. Amir/ Lagerlof (NIU) 8-3
2. Berg/Julin (STET) def. Formont/Lagutin (NIU) 8-0
3. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) vs. Espie/Kapukiran (STET) 5-4, DNF
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Didrik Berg (STET) 6-0, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) 6-4, 6-2
3. Cahit Kapukiran (STET) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Simon Julin (STET) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Egor Panyushkin (STET) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6. Chester Espie (STET) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 6-2, 6-2