March 13, 2013
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team earned its 10th win of the season Wednesday afternoon versus Appalachian State (2-7), defeating the Mountaineers, 4-3, in Orlando, Fla., to improve to 10-5 this season.
"Today was about getting four points and finding a way to win the match," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher, "I was really happy to see Max (Phillips) start to turn the corner today with his doubles and singles play. That was the difference today in us winning or losing this match.
"The challenge tomorrow is to see if we can turn around and find a way to come through again. Army always has great program, they've won many Patriot League Championships. I'm curious to see if our group can step up and take on the challenge."
The Huskies doubles pairs have begun to gel over the last few matches and today was no exception for NIU. Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof won their match at No. 1, 8-6, while Max Phillips and Simon Formont clinched the NIU point at No. 2 to earn the early advantage over ASU, 8-5.
Lagerlof continued his strong play in singles at No. 1 with a three set victory, capped with a dominant third set, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0. Rounding out the Huskies victories were Frederic Cadieux at No. 2, who finished in strong fashion against Steve Karendal, 6-2, 6-0, and Phillips at No. 5 with his grind-it-out win over Jan-Willem Kleynhans, 7-6, 7-6.
Northern Illinois will close its spring trip in Florida tomorrow at 1 p.m. when it faces Army, the 2012 Patriot League runner-up. Appalachian State defeated Army, 5-2, March 10.
Northern Illinois 4, Appalachian State 3
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. King/Kleynhans (ASU) 8-6
2. Formont/Phillips (NIU) def. Bost/McKinnon (ASU) 8-5
3. Lake/Karendal (ASU) def. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-1
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Seb King (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Steve Karendal (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Zach Bost (ASU) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Andrew McKinnon (ASU) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Jan-Willem Kleynhans (NIU) 7-6, 7-6
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4