March 31, 2012
DeKALB, Ill. – In their first match of the season at the NIU tennis courts, the Northern Illinois men’s tennis team earned its 16th victory of the season over Saint Louis, defeating the Billikens, 5-2. The Huskies are 16-5 this season.
“We really came out as the aggressor today against Saint Louis at the top of our lineup,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “We took it to them in doubles with a clean sweep but we had our struggles at the bottom of the lineup. If we want to beat Bradley tomorrow we’ll have to play awesome from top to bottom. They are a good team and we can’t under estimate them.”
NIU was the aggressor in double, sweeping SLU, including an 8-5 victory by Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof at No. 1. Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin played a closer match at No. 2, but were still able to claim the triumph, winning with an 8-6 score, while Frederic Cadieux and Maximilian Phillips took their match at No. 3 to a tiebreaker, 8-7 (7-4).
In singles the Huskies won at Nos. 1-4, as Turtygin, Amir, Lagerlof and Cadieux won their matches to claim the victory and seal Northern Illinois’ 16th win of 2012. Cadieux’s match was the only one that played in straight sets, as the Verdun, Quebec, Canada defeated Vuk Poledica, 6-2, 6-1. At No. 2, Amir lost his first set to Bobby Kidera, 7-6 (5), but rallied back in the next two sets to sternly defeat the Billiken, 6-0, 6-2, and claim the victory.
Saint Louis falls to 2-11 this season. The Huskies return to action tomorrow afternoon when they host Bradley, beginning at 2 p.m
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 5, SAINT LOUIS 2
NIU Tennis Courts
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Flanagan/Kidera (SLU) 8-5
2. Bartiuk/Turtygin (NIU) def. Poledica/Fedor (SLU) 8-6
3. Cadieux/Phillips (NIU) def. Kella/Welkener (SLU) 8-7 (7-4).
1. Roman Turtygin (NIU) def. Joe Flanagan (SLU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Bobby Kidera (SLU) 6-7 (5), 6-0, 6-2
3. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Yehia El Sallaly (SLU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Vuk Poledica (SLU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Drew Fedor (SLU) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-7 (5)
6. Pat Kella (SLU) def. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) 6-1, 6-0