April 6, 2013
MUNCIE, Ind. - Northern Illinois continued its Mid-American Conference season Saturday at Ball State, in hopes of improving to 2-1 in the MAC. The Huskies (12-7, 1-2 MAC) would fall to the Cardinals however, 7-0. NIU will look to rebound tomorrow at IPFW in preparations for their next MAC match at Toledo.
"Ball State was better than us at every spot," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher after the match, "there really is nothing else to say. We got outcoached and outplayed and we did nothing positive today."
Northern Illinois and BSU battled in doubles with the Huskies, nearly gaining the early 1-0 advantage in the match. No. 3 pair Frederic Cadieux and Jovan Zeljkovic won at No. 3, 8-6, while No. 2 pair Dor Amir and Simon Formont grinded with Cliff Morrison and Dalton Albertin but fell, 8-6.
After missing the last two weekends of play, Axel Lagerlof returned to action versus the Cardinals and resumed his spot as the Huskies No. 1 player. Lagerlof would go on to win the first set of play, 6-3, but his opponent Ray Leonard would come back in the final two sets to take the match, 6-1, 6-4. Lagerlof last appeared versus Army during the Huskies spring break trip in Florida March 14.
Ball State would take the next five matches in straight sets.
Northern Illinois will close the weekend tomorrow at IPFW, with the match starting at noon. Live stats will be available for fans to follow.
BALL STATE 7, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 0
1. Ray Leonard (BSU) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Cliff Morrison (BSU) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Dalton Albertin (BSU) def. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Imanol Arconada (BSU) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Patrick Elliott (BSU) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Austin Smith (BSU) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Leonard/Elliott (BSU) def. Phillips/Lagerlof (NIU) 8-1
2. Morrison/Albertin (BSU) def. Formont/Amir (NIU) 8-6
3. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Arconada/Brym (BSU) 8-6