April 7, 2012
DeKALB, Ill. - Northern Illinois improved to 2-0 in Mid-American Conference play this afternoon when it defeated the defending MAC Champions Ball State, sweeping singles play, and claiming victory, 6-1.
"After we lost the doubles point, we found ourselves in a couple of holes. We could've just lost the match but our guys really battled and got a huge conference win," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. "The fact that we won four matches in three sets was big for us as well."
During doubles, the Huskies fell at Nos. 1 and 2 to drop the point but the pair of Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin at No. 3 won their match, 8-2, over Austin Smith and Austin Sanson.
Huskies Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin at No. 5 and No. 2, respectively, lost their first sets, but would go on to win their next two sets to record triumphs. Bartiuk won, 5-7, 6-2, 7-6, while Turtygin won with a 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 score. Dor Amir defeated the Cardinals reigning MAC Player of the Week, Dalton Albertin at No. 1, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5). Albertin defeated Notre Dame's No. 1 last week to earn the honor.
Northern Illinois improves to 18-5 and 2-0 in the Mid-American Conference with three more matches remaining in 2012. NIU will return to action Sunday afternoon for a contest against Marquette in Milwaukee, Wis. The Huskies will then host a pair of conference matches next weekend against Toledo (April 14) and Buffalo (April 15).
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 6, BALL STATE 1
NIU Tennis Courts
1. Albertin/Leonard (BSU) def. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) 8-3
2. Smith/Carpenter (BSU) def. Phillips/Cadieux (NIU) 8-2
3. Bartiuk/Turtygin (NIU) def. Smith/Sanson (BSU) 8-2
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Dalton Albertin 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (5)
2. Roman Turtygin (NIU) def. Ray Leonard 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4
3. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Zane Smith (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Austin Smith (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Alexandre Brym (BSU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
6. Maximilian Phillips (NIU) def. Austin Sansone (BSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-0