April 8, 2012
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – Coming off a big win against Ball State Saturday afternoon, the Northern Illinois men’s tennis team fell to Marquette in a very close 4-3 match to fall 18-6 in 2012.
“It was a tough loss today,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “We just dug ourselves a hole when we lost the doubles point and we just can’t keep doing that if we want to win a championship this season. When we win doubles it really helps us out a lot and we just can’t put that kind of pressure on ourselves to win our matches in singles alone.”
Only the doubles pair of Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin that emerged victorious in the match as they defeated Logon Collins and Cameron Tehran, 8-7. Axel Lagerlof was a victor at No. 3 for the Huskies with his straight-set 6-4, 6-2 score, while Bartiuk again won in singles with a grinding score of 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. NIU’s final point of the match was at No. 5 with Frederic Cadieux defeating Tehrani, 7-6, 1-6, 1-0.
Northern Illinois will play a pair of MAC matches next weekend as it hosts Toledo and Buffalo on April 15 and 15, respectively. NIU is 2-0 in Mid-American Conference play this season.
MARQUETTE 4, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 3
1. Schwerin/Mamalat (MU) def. Lagerlof/Amir (NIU) 8-3
2. Turtygin/Bartiuk (NIU) def. Collins/Tehrani (MU) 8-7
3. Teofanovic/Kakar (MU) def. Phillips/Cadieux (NIU) 8-4
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Dor Amir (NIU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 6-4, 7-6
3. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Logon Collins (MU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Jonathan Schwerin (MU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Cameron Tehrani (MU) 7-6, 1-6, 1-0
6. Drake Kakar (MU) def. Maximilian Phillips (NIU) 6-3, 6-4