April 9, 2014
CHICAGO, Ill. - The Huskies finished non-conference play this spring with a 4-0 win over the UIC Flames (3-9) Tuesday. The victory improves NIU's record to 16-5 in 2014.
"UIC is a talented team, and it took us a while to get things going," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher.
The teams decided to forego doubles play in this match, jumping straight into the singles contests. Carlos Manzanas was the first Huskie to finish. He faced Christopher Cole in the No. 6, taking a shortened match, 6-2, 4-0.
Jovan Zeljkovic added a win in the No. 3, taking a match against Carl Hedstrom, 7-5, 6-3. Matt Lynch earned his 10th victory of the spring in the No. 5, besting Maurizio Feoli, 7-6, 6-4. Frederic Cadieux finished things off with a 6-4, 6-4 victory in the No. 2. He took down Alexander Raa.
"Carlos [Manzanas] did an awesome job, getting us up early," added Fisher. "From there, we were able to get control of the match, but credit goes to UIC. It was not easy. They fought really hard."
The Huskies will get back onto the courts in just a few days. On Saturday, April 12, they'll host Toledo for a match at 1:00 p.m. It will be played on the outdoor courts at NIU barring inclement weather.
NIU 4, UIC 0
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) vs. Alan Reifer (UIC) DNF
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Alexander Raa (UIC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Carl Hedstrom (UIC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Simon Formont (NIU) vs. Isaac Lloveras (UIC) DNF
5. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Maurizio Feoli (UIC) 7-6, 6-4
6. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Christopher Cole (UIC) 6-2, 4-0 (forfeit)