April 12, 2014
DeKALB, Ill. - The Huskies took on Toledo (9-16, 2-1 MAC) in their third conference match of the spring Saturday afternoon. The Huskies were 2-0 in MAC play coming into the match, and they remained undefeated in conference play with a 4-3 victory. NIU is now 17-5 with a 3-0 MAC record this spring.
"It's great that we won," said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. Credit goes to Toledo for fighting all the way to the end. Still, I know we are capable of playing better than we did today."
To start the match off, the Huskies pushed ahead early with a couple strong performances in doubles play. No. 83 Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof began things with an 8-3 win over Stjepan Sisko and Garrett Cona. Matt Lynch and Jovan Zeljkovic later sealed the doubles point for the Huskies with an 8-5 win in the No. 3 against Roberto Meza and Boris Pak. The Huskies were ahead 1-0 going into singles, and that point proved to be important in the contest.
In singles, Frederic Cadieux helped build the lead with a quick win in the No. 3. He bested Nicky Wong 6-1, 6-1. Matt Lynch eventually added a win to NIU's tally, taking down Ben Brocker in the No. 6, 6-1, 6-2. Dor Amir clinched the victory for the Huskies when took down Mark Singnil, 6-2, 6-4. The teams split the singles matches, so NIU left the courts with a 4-3 victory.
"We look to play hard at all nine positions, not just enough to win," added Fisher. "We have a week to make some adjustments before we play Buffalo, who in my opinion is the best team in the league."
The Huskies will close the regular season on Friday, April 18 against Buffalo. It will be a home match, played on the outdoor courts at NIU. Currently, NIU stands alone atop the MAC standings, being the only unbeaten team in conference play this season. With a win against Buffalo, the Huskies will seal that top spot.
NIU 4, Toledo 3
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Mark Singnil (Toledo) 6-2, 6-4
2. Stjepan Sisko (Toledo) def. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Nicky Wong (Toledo) 6-1, 6-0
4. Roberto Meza (Toledo) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Garrett Cona (Toledo) def. Simon Formont (NIU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Lynch (NIU) def. Ben Brocker (Toledo) 6-1, 6-2
1. No. 83 Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Cona/Sisko (Toledo) 8-3
2. Formont/Cadieux (NIU) vs. Singnil/Wong (Toledo) DNF
3. Lynch/Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Meza/Boris Pak (Toledo) 8-5