April 13, 2013
DETROIT, Mich. - The Northern Illinois men's tennis team dropped its first match of the weekend Friday night at Detroit-Mercy, 4-2. Huskies Dor Amir and Frederic Cadieux earned the Huskies points in singles play during the match.
The Huskies (13-8) were close to sealing the valuable doubles point in the contest as Dor Amir and Axel Lagerlof won at No. 1, 8-5, to put NIU into position with one more win needed. However, No. 2 pair Simon Formont and Max Phillips fell, 8-5, and No. 3 duo Frederic Cadieux and Jovan Zeljkovic dropped their match to clinch the Titans point, 8-6.
As they have for most of the season, the top of the lineup remained constant for Northern Illinois as Amir defeated Mike Basha at No. 1, 6-2, 6-3, while Cadieux won at No. 2 to extend his undefeated streak at the position, 6-4, 6-3. Formont was one set ahead in his match but it was unfinished as the victory had already been sealed for Detroit.
The Huskies will need to rebound to Sunday at Toledo as they are playing for the fourth final seed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament against the Rockets. The match will begin at noon Central.
DETROIT-MERCY 4, NORTHERN ILLINOIS 2
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Cheung/Latosinsky (DETROIT) 8-5
2. Nunez/Brown (DETROIT) def. Formont/Phillips (NIU) 8-5
3. Basha/Serrano (DETROIT) def. Cadieux/Zeljkovic (NIU) 8-6
1. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Mike Basha (DETROIT) 6-2, 6-3
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Cesar Serrano (DETROIT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Alex Latosinsky (DETROIT) def. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Pablo Nunez (DETROIT) def. Max Phillips (NIU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rafael Orantes (DETROIT) vs. Simon Formont (NIU) 4-6, 4-4, unfinished
6. Chris Cheung (DETROIT) def. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) 6-2, 6-1