April 21, 2012
CHICAGO, Ill. – The Northern Illinois men’s tennis team surpassed the 20 win plateau for the first time since 1989 this afternoon with wins over Chicago State, 7-0, and Illinois-Chicago, 5-0. The Huskies close the regular season with a regular season record of 21-6 and MAC record of 4-1.
“Today we did exactly what we should have done - take care of our business and prepare for the MAC Championship,” said Head Coach Patrick Fisher. “it was great for the guy's to win their 20th and 21st game today this is a great accomplishment for our kids, NIU and our program. To think where this program was three years ago when Javier and I took it over, to where it is now it’s just a great thing to know that we are a winning program now.”
The Huskies made a clean sweep of the Cougars and won all nine of their matches on the day, winning all of their singles matches in straight sets. Four different NIU players recorded perfect sets and did not surrender a point to their CSU counterpart in the frame.
NIU had similar results against UIC, claiming all singles matches but No. 1 and No. 3 which were called due to the weather. The Huskies claimed the doubles point, claiming victories at Nos. 2 and 3 with scores of 6-1 (Maksym Bartiuk and Roman Turtygin) and 8-6 (Maximilian Phiilips and Frederic Cadieux). Dor Amir dominated at No.2 singles, when he defeated Alan Reifer and did not surrender a single point, 6-0, 6-0.
The Huskies finish the season 21-6 overall and 4-1 in conference and will earn a first round bye to the Mid-American Conference Tournament, beginning April 26 at Toledo.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 7, CHICAGO STATE 0
1. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. Noboa/Muresan (CSU) 8-5
2. Bartiuk/Turtygin (NIU) def. Yeremia/Chavez (CSU) 8-1
3. Cadieux/Phillips (NIU) def. McKinney/Ulloa (CSU) 8-0
1. Roman Turtygin (NIU) def. Sergiu Muresan (CSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def. Mario Noboa (CSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Julian Chavez (CSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Rashley Yeremia (CSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Maximilian Phillips (NIU) def. Luis Ulloa (CSU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Maksym Lagutin (NIU) def. Sam McKinney (CSU) 6-0, 6-0
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 5, UIC 0
1. Kamath/Raa (UIC) def. Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) 8-4
2. Bartiuk/Turtygin (NIU) def. Feoli/Reifer (UIC) 6-1 ret inj
3. Phillips/Cadieux (NIU) def. Shepardson/Kirk (UIC) 8-6
1. James Li (UIC) vs. Roman Turtygin (NIU) 6-4, 2-3 unfinished
2. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Alan Reifer (UIC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Alexander Raa (UIC) vs. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) 5-7, 5-2 unfinished
4. Maksym Bartiuk (NIU) def. Rahul Kamath (UIC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Gautham Oroskar (UIC) 6-3, 6-1
6. Max Phillips (NIU) def. Francisco Pereira (UIC) 6-3, 6-1