Sept. 24, 2006
AVALON, Wisc. - The Northern Illinois women's golf team easily out-distanced Wisconsin-Stevens Point and 15 other contenders to win the team title at the Whitewater Invitational Sunday at the Prairie Woods Golf Course in Avalon, Ill. The victory was NIU's first of the season.
Northern Illinois held a slim one-stroke lead over UW-Stevens Point entering Sunday's round, but turned in the best team score of the day, a 327, to claim a 20-stroke win. Illinois Wesleyan was third, followed by Illinois College and Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
Amazingly, NIU was able to win the tournament without counting either of the scores of its top individual performer as freshman Kim Hunley (Aurora, Ill.) was designated as the Huskies' sixth player and was competing only as an individual. After shooting an 80 Saturday, Hunley came back with a 76 in the final round to finish second with a 36-hole total of 156, just one stroke behind medalist Katie Tewell of Franklin.
"It's very, very infrequent that you have a [player playing as an] individual finish in the Top 10, let alone the top two," said NIU Head Coach Pam Tyska. "I am very proud of Kim, she played very well and I am pleased to see Nicci [Schultz] come back and show her true form."
Schultz, a sophomore from Somonauk, Ill. rebounded from an opening round 83 to shoot the Huskies' best score of the day, a three-over par 75, Sunday. Her two-day total of 14-over par 158 gave her sole possession of third place.
Three more Huskies recorded Top 10 finishes. Junior Abby Many (Mt. Prospect, Ill.) was sixth at 17-over 161 after an 83 Sunday, while junior Anne Senn (Mt. Prospect, Ill.) and senior Lisa Bailey (Decatur, Ill.) tied for seventh after carding rounds of 83 and 86, respectively to finish one stroke behind at 162.
"We're a pretty seasoned team but we were led by two youngsters this week and as a coach, you love to see that," Tyska said. "This was a great tournament, run very well, we were fortunate to be invited to play in it and are very pleased to be its champion."
NIU is next in action Oct. 1-2 when the team plays host to the Huskie Classic at Whispercreek Golf Club in Huntley, Ill.
1. Northern Illinois U. 314-327=641
2. Wisconsin-Stevens Pt 315-346=661
3. Illinois Wesleyan 326-348=674
4. Illinois College 342-337=679
5. Wisconsin - Oshkosh 342-340=682
6. Wisconsin-Whitewater 349-365=714
7. Robert Morris Coll. 356-369=725
Millikin University 362-363=725
9. Franklin College 366-364=730
10. Carthage College 374-379=753
11. Wisconsin-Superior 388-384=772
12. Ripon College 387-398=785
13. Monmouth University 398-401=799
14. Carroll College WI 390-410=800
15. Knox College 398-415=813
16. No. Central College 383-431=814
17. Wisc.-Platteville 419-410=829
Northern Illinois Team Scores
2. *Kim Hunley 80-76=156 (+12)
3. Nicci Schultz 83-75=158 (+14)
6. Abby Many 78-83=161 (+17)
T7. Anne Senn 79-83=162 (+18)
T7. Lisa Bailey 76-86=162 (+18)
18. Ashley Lods 81-87=168 (+24)
*playing as an individual
Top 10 Individuals
1. Katie Tewell (Franklin) 81-74=155 (+11); 2. *Kim Hunley (N. Illinois) 80-76=156 (+12); 3. Nicci Schultz (N. Illinois) 83-75=158 (+14); T4. Jennifer Young (Oshkosh) 79-80=159 (+15) and Carey Cappel (Ill. Col.) 78-81=159 (+15); 6. Abbie Many (N. Illinois) 78-83=161 (+17);T7. Anne Senn (N. Illinois) 79-83=162 (+18) and Lisa Bailey (N. Illinois) 76-86=162 (+18), Taylor Paskell (IWU) 78-84=162 (+18); T10. Lydia Lindemann (Millikin) 82-81=163 (+19) and Susie Lewis (Wisc.-S.P.) 76-87=163 (+19).
-- NIU --