Jan. 31, 2009
MILWAUKEE - The Northern Illinois women's tennis team (1-1) recorded its first win of the season Saturday, when the Huskies defeated Green Bay, 6-1, at the Helfaer Tennis Stadium in Milwaukee.
"It was great for us to pick up our first win today, but more importantly, I thought we really improved from our match against Wisconsin (yesterday)," said head coach Ryun Ferrell. "We executed very well in doubles, and once we settled down in singles, we found our groove and took care of business.
"Our goal from here on out is to focus on the here and now, and to play with consistency. What happens early in the season is that teams feel they should pick up right where they left off at the end of the fall season. When you don't play matches for three months, that's difficult to do. We need to stay focused on improving each match."
The Huskies picked up the decisive doubles point by convincingly winning three-consecutive pro-set decisions. At No. 1, the tandem of Brooke Forsberg and Nao Umemura recorded an 8-1 win over Green Bay's duo of Emily Lawent and Lauryn Grimando.
At the No. 2 flight, Lilian Asuaje and Martina Schnaap picked up an 8-3 win, and at No. 3, NIU's duo of Emily Rogers and Sara McGlaughlin recorded an 8-1 victory over the Phoenix's Kelly Stadum and Kari Petrashek.
In singles play, the Huskies tallied three straight-set wins, and two three-set victories. At No. 1, Asuaje defeated Lawent, 6-2, 6-7 and 10-2. Kathryn Friedlund, playing No. 2, secured a 6-2, 6-3, win over Green Bay's Aschley Jurgella.
At No. 3, Umemura defeated Stadum, 6-3, 6-1, while Rogers disposed of Morgan Weuve, in a 6-1, 6-3 decision at the fourth singles flight. At No. 5, Forsberg was outlasted in three sets by Grimando (6-4, 2-6, 10-12), but Stephanie Okuma
, playing No. 6, blanked Petrashek 6-0 in the first set, and recorded a 6-1 win in the second frame.
The Huskies will face host Marquette Sunday in their third dual-match in as many days. The match is slated to begin at 10 a.m.
"We will try some new things with our lineup against a very good Marquette tomorrow," said Ferrell. "We hope to get off to a quick start, and have more good results."
Tennis Match Results
Northern Illinois vs. Green Bay
1/31/2009 at Milwaukee
(Helfaer Tennis Stadium)
Northern Illinois - 6
Green Bay - 1
1. Brooke Forsberg/Nao Umemura (NIU) def. Lawent/Grimando (Green Bay), 8-1
2. Lilian Asuaje/Martina Schnaap (NIU) def. Weuve/ Jurgella (Green Bay), 8-3
3. Emily Rogers/Sara McGlaughlin (NIU) def. Stadum/Petrashek (Green Bay), 8-1
1. Lilian Asuaje (NIU) def. Lawent (Green Bay), 6-2, 6-7, 10-2
2. Kathryn Friedlund (NIU) def. Jurgella (Green Bay), 6-2, 6-3
3. Nao Umemura (NIU) def. Stadum (Green Bay), 6-3, 6-1
4. Emily Rogers (NIU) def. Weuve (Green Bay), 6-1, 6-3
5. Grimando (Green Bay) def. Brooke Forsberg (NIU), 6-4, 2-6, 10-12
6. Stephanie Okuma (NIU) def. Petrashek (Green Bay), 6-0, 6-1