Feb. 22, 2014
PEORIA, Ill. - The Huskies were able to pick up their first road victory of the season on Saturday at Bradley (1-5) after taking down the Braves, 5-2. The win improves NIU's record to 4-1 this season.
"Bradley came out so fast in doubles," said Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "They were on fire. There was not a lot we could do to stop them. My compliments go to this squad. They didn't freak out. They just brought their lunch pail and got to work."
The Huskies faced some very stiff competition in doubles play to begin the match. The feature of doubles play was the No. 1 match, where Nelle Youel and Arantza De La Torre took on Adele Henke and Sarah Rodefeld. This ended up being a long battle, and the two Huskies came up just short, losing 8-7 (7-3). NIU also dropped the other two doubles matches to head into singles play down 1-0.
Singles play is where the Huskies left their mark. NIU took five of the six individual matches here allowing the team to seal its fourth victory of the season. Singles started off with a very strong performance from Youel, who took on Henke in the No. 1. Youel nearly kept her opponent off the board altogether, taking the match 6-0, 6-1.
Mary Malkin won a close match in the No. 4 to help NIU's cause. She faced Sarah Rodefeld, and the two went back and forth, vying for a point for their teams. Malkin was able to grind it out for the Huskies, 6-3, 5-7, (10-3). Cristina Alvarez also played a close match. In the No. 5, she won against Cassia Wojtalik, 6-1, 7-6 (7-2).
"This was not pretty a pretty win," added Ferrell. "It was a tough match, and really, I believe that tough tennis beats good tennis any day. No rest for the weary as we'll have to two very good teams next weekend in DePaul and Wisconsin-Milwaukee."
NIU has a bit less than a week to prepare for their next matches. On Friday, February 28, the Huskies will face DePaul at the Boylan Tennis Center in Rockford, Ill. at 2:00 p.m. On Saturday, March 1, they'll head back on the road to take on Wisconsin-Milwaukee at 12:30 p.m.
NIU 5, Bradley 2
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Adele Adele (Bradley) 6-0, 6-1
2. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) def. Ariel Dechter (Bradley) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ashley Thai (Bradley) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mary Malkin (NIU) def. Sarah Rodefeld (Bradley) 6-3, 5-7, (10-3)
5. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) def. Cassia Wojtalik (Bradley) 6-1, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Maria Rozo (NIU) def. Carly Miles (Bradley) 6-3, 6-4
1. Henke/Rodefeld (Bradley) def. Youel/De La Torre (NIU) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Miles/Thai (Bradley) def. Dekkinga/McDonald (NIU) 8-4
3. Dechter/Przystawski (Bradley) def. Alverez/Rozo (NIU) 8-1