March 1, 2014
ROCKFORD, Ill. - After getting last weekend off, NIU's women's tennis team took on No. 37 DePaul (13-1) on Friday afternoon at the Boylan Tennis Center. The Huskies played well, but they were outmatched by the Blue Demons, falling 7-0. The loss drops the team's record to 4-2. It was the first loss at home this season.
"DePaul is a good team," said Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "They've earned that No. 37 ranking. We played great. We played hard. They were just flat out better."
DePaul proved to be difficult from the start of the match. In doubles, Nelle Youel and Arantza De La Torre were handed their second loss of the season in the No. 1, falling to Patricia Fargas and Ana Vladutu, 8-1.
Haley Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald were charged with the task of facing No. 59 Jasmin Kling and Kelsey Lawson, and they too fell 8-1 to the DePaul tandem. Maria Rozo and Mary Malkin took on Zaina Sufi and Rebeca Mitrea in the No. 3. The Huskie pairing made it closer on the scoreboard than their teammates, but they were unable to grab the victory, falling 8-4. The score was 1-0 in favor of DePaul heading into singles play.
In singles, the Huskies' attempts to get on the board were spoiled by the Blue Demons. Youel and Fargas went at it in the No. 1, ending in a 6-3, 6-3 defeat for the Huskie junior. Dekkinga faced No. 94 Vladutu in the No. 2, and she too could not find an opening, falling 6-3, 6-2. Malkin came close to grabbing the first set in her match against Lawson in the No. 4, but she just missed, eventually losing 6-4, 6-1. The Huskies ended up dropping each of the singles matches as the affair ended in a 7-0 defeat.
"We found a lot of things that we need to improve on," added Ferrell. "We'll get to that. For now, we need to put all focus on Wisconsin-Milwaukee tomorrow."
NIU has one more match this weekend. The team will travel to UWM for a match at 12:30 on Saturday, March 1. It's the beginning of a string of road games, as the Huskies will play five straight matches away before hosting another contest.
DePaul 7, NIU 0
1. Patricia Fargas (DePaul) def. Nelle Youel (NIU) 6-3, 6-3
2. No. 94 Ana Vladutu (DePaul) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jasmin Kling (DePaul) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Kelsey Lawson (DePaul) def. Mary Malkin (NIU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Zaina Sufi (DePaul) def. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Rebeca Mitrea (DePaul) def. Maria Rozo (NIU) 6-2, 6-0
1. Fargas/Vladutu (DePaul) def. Youel/de la Torre (NIU) 8-1
2. #59 Kling/Lawson (DePaul) def. McDonald/Dekkinga (NIU) 8-1
3. Sufi/Mitrea (DePaul) def. Rozo/Malkin (NIU) 8-4