March 10, 2014
Gainesville, Ga. - The Huskies picked up their fifth win of the season on Monday to start spring break. Playing at Brenau, NIU claimed a 6-1 victory, snapping a three-match losing streak. With the, NIU got back over .500, as the team's record now stands at 5-4.
"Today was a solid day," said Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "We have been intensifying our practices, and it showed. We played very hard. Bruneau is a very good team and they are ranked top six in the country in the NAIA. They did not go down easily."
Coming into this match, the Huskies had lost the doubles point in four straight contests. They corrected their struggles in doubles play at Brenau, and that set them up nicely for the rest of the match.
Nelle Youel and Arantza De La Torre began things with an 8-2 win in the No. 1 over Dominika Jasova and Zelina Nazarova. Haley Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald followed up with an 8-0 victory in the No. 3 against Snezhana Kiseleva and Kelley Cohron. With two wins in doubles, the Huskies took the doubles point to head into singles up 1-0.
NIU was dominant as a team in singles play. The Huskies won all but one match here, and no match went longer than two sets. Youel kept up her strong play as of late with a 6-1, 6-2 win in the No. 1 over Jasova. Cristina Alvarez earned her team-leading sixth win of the spring in the No. 3, 6-2, 6-3 against Stephanie Moniz. Alvarez is now 6-3 in singles matches in 2014.
De la Torre, Mary Malkin, and McDonald rounded out singles play with wins of their own in the No. 4, 5, and 6 respectively. With five victories in the singles portion, NIU ended the event ahead of Brenau, 6-1.
"We are not done yet," added Ferrell. "We have more NAIA competition to take on. Tomorrow is a new day with new challenges. The big thing is that we continue to work and improve."
Georgia Gwinnett is up next. The Huskies will be facing Grizzlies in a morning match at 9:30 a.m. CT. The teams will play in Atlanta, Ga.
NIU 6, Brenau 1
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Dominika Jasova (Brenau) 6-1, 6-2
2. Maria Perdomo Medina (Brenau) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) def. Stephanie Moniz (Brenau) 6-2, 6-3
4. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) def. Valeria Savina (Brenau) 6-4, 6-0
5. Mary Malkin (NIU) def. Kelley Cohron (Brenau) 7-5, 6-1
6. Stephanie McDonald (NIU) def. Snezhana Kiseleva (Brenau) 6-1, 6-1
1. Youel/de la Torre (NIU) def. Jasova/Zalina Nazarova (Brenau) 8-2
2. Moniz/Perdomo Medina (Brenau) def. Pacheco/Malkin (NIU) 8-2
3. Dekkinga/McDonald (NIU) def. Kiseleva/Cohron (Brenau) 8-0