March 11, 2014
ATLANTA, Ga. - NIU capped off play during spring break at Georgia Gwinnett (10-1) on Tuesday. However, the team did not have the most desirable result, as the Huskies fell 6-1. The loss drops NIU's record to 5-5 this spring.
"This was an all out war," said Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "We were lucky there were not any casualties. It had the atmosphere of a conference match. GGC did not like us, and we did not like them."
The Huskies found themselves in an early hole following the conclusion of doubles play. NIU took the doubles point on Monday at Brenau, but the team was not successful against GGC. The Grizzlies claimed each doubles match in the affair by the same score, 8-4. This forced the Huskies to beat the Grizzlies in singles play.
In singles, Nelle Youel did her best to get the Huskies going. She took on Valeria Podda in the No. 1 and beat the Grizzly, 6-4, 6-2. Youel has really gotten it going as of late. This was her sixth win in her last seven singles matches.
The rest of the Huskies couldn't muster a victory in this event, however. Haley Dekkinga had a strong start in the No. 3 against Judith van Fraaijenhoven, taking the first set. She fell in the final two sets though to drop, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4. Cristina Alvarez attempted a comeback in the No. 2 against Paloma Cortina. After quickly falling in the first set, she won the second. However, she went on to drop the final set to lose 6-0, 4-6, 6-0. The Huskies won just the one singles match as a team, ending the contest behind 6-1.
"We did not play our greatest," added Ferrell. "It will alright in the long run. We needed to get ready for the league, and now we are."
The Huskies have more than a week to prepare for their next match. On Friday, March 21, NIU will begin conference play at Ball State. The match will start at 1:00 p.m. in Muncie, Ind.
Georgia Gwinnett College 6, NIU 1
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Valeria Podda (GGC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Paloma Cortina (GGC) def. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-0
3. Judith van Fraaijenhoven (GGC) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Helena Korompis (GGC) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Chiara Di Salvo (GGC) def. Mary Malkin (NIU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Luma Schwab (GGC) def. Maria Rozo (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Podda/Korompis (GGC) def. Youel/de la Torre (NIU) 8-4
2. Ines Costamagna/Schwab (GGC) def. Pacheco/Rozo (NIU) 8-4
3. Di Salvo/Cortina (GGC) def. McDonald/Dekkinga (NIU) 8-4