March 27, 2010
DEKALB - The Northern Illinois women’s tennis team captured victories at the top four singles positions, and the Huskies (7-6, 1-1 MAC) cruised to a 5-2 win over Mid-American Conference foe Eastern Michigan at the Huskie Tennis Courts Saturday afternoon.
With the victory, NIU matches last season’s win total and collects its first victory over EMU since the 1999-2000 season.
“This is a huge win,” said head coach Ryun Ferrell. “We have not beaten Eastern Michigan in ten years. We couldn’t get the doubles point but we came back and took care of business. This is a great victory and I am very excited to play Ball State and Miami (Ohio) next weekend here in DeKalb.”
After dropping the decisive doubles point, the Huskies dominated in singles play. Junior Kathryn Friedlund picked up her fourth win of the season at the top singles flight after EMU’s Julia Breuss retired in the second set, and sophomore Emily Rogers recorded a three-set victory over Miriam Westerink at No. 2. Freshman Brittni Fausett collected her team-high eighth win with a come-from-behind victory over Xu Chang at No. 3, and sophomore Sara McLaughlin won her second straight at the No. 4 position with a 7-6, 7-5 decision over Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr.
Sophomore Martina Schnapp, who was second on the squad last season with six victories, picked up her first win of the 2010 campaign with a three-set decision over Celine Donnet at the No. 6 position.
EMU (6-8, 0-1 MAC) captured the doubles point by recording wins at both the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. Chang and de'Lisle-Tarr outlasted McLaughlin and Friedlund 9-7 at No. 2, while Karina Ahuja and Marcela Rivero defeated senior Stephanie Okuma
and freshman Kelly Phillips
8-2 at No. 3.
Senior Brooke Forsberg
and Rogers, playing together at No. 1 for the 10th time this season, collected their team-high seventh doubles victory with a 8-5 decision over Westerink and Donnet . The duo has won seven of their last nine doubles contests and is unbeaten in NIU victories this season.
NIU continues its season-long six-match homestand next weekend when the Huskies host Ball State Friday and Miami (Ohio) Saturday at the Huskie Tennis Courts. Both matches are scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. CST.
- NIU -
Women’s Tennis Match Results
Northern Illinois vs. Eastern Michigan
Saturday, March 27, 2010
Huskie Tennis Courts (DeKalb, Ill.)
Northern Illinois 5, Eastern Michigan 2
1. Brooke Forsberg/Emily Rogers (NIU) def. Miriam Westerink/Celine Donnet (EMU) 8-5
2. Xu Chang/Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr (EMU) def. Sara McLaughlin/Kathryn Friedlund (NIU) 9-7
3. Karina Ahuja/Marcela Rivero (EMU) def. Kelly Phillips/Stephanie Okuma (NIU) 8-2
1. Kathryn Friedlund (NIU) def. Julia Breuss (EMU) 7-6, retired
2. Emily Rogers (NIU) def. Miriam Westerink (EMU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
3. Brittni Fausett (NIU) def. Xu Chang (EMU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Sara McLaughlin (NIU) def. Georgia de'Lisle-Tarr (EMU) 7-6, 7-5
5. Marcela Rivero (EMU) def. Kelly Phillips (NIU) 6-2, 7-6
6. Martina Schnapp (NIU) def. Celine Donnet (EMU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2