March 30, 2012
DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois women's tennis team defeated the Valparaiso Crusaders Friday 6-1 at the West Tennis Courts. The victory put the Huskies back over the .500 mark where they have been all season. NIU improved its home record to 3-0 on the year.
"Today was a good day," said NIU Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "We came out with great energy and executed very well. No time for rest, though. We have Western Illinois tomorrow. When you play another in-state school there is always some emotion there. So we need to get to work tomorrow.”
The Huskies ended their three-match losing streak against the Crusaders in dominating fashion. The team saw much improvement in singles play as it took down four of its opponents by scores of 6-1 and 6-0 with a fifth score of 6-1, 6-1. The victors included Nelle Youel (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake Central), Mary Malkin (Tel Aviv, Israel/Alliance), and Stephanie McDonald (Harare, Zimbabwe/St. Anne's Diocesan College). The three freshmen now sit 10-5, 8-6, and 2-3 on the season. Sophomore Haley Dekkinga (Allegan, Mich./Allegan) nabbed her eighth victory of the season by taking down Michele Fredlake. Sara McLaughlin (Moline, Ill./Moline) also picked up her seventh W of the year.
Doubles play was once again key to the team’s success, earning three 8-1 victories. The wins moved the record of Dekkinga/McDonald to 8-4 this season. The senior tandem of McLaughlin and Emily Rogers (Rochester, Minn./Century) ended a seven-match losing streak and notched its sixth win. The Huskies will travel to Galesburg, Ill. to take on Western Illinois on Saturday, Mar. 31. The match is set to start at 1:00 p.m. CT at the Varsity Courts.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS 8-7 (1-2, MAC) DEF. VALPARAISO 4-9 (0-3, HORIZON), 6-1
MARCH 30, 2012 | WEST TENNIS COURTS | DEKALB, ILL.
1. Sara McLaughlin def. Megan Barthels (VU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Nelle Youel def. Kaitlyn Hamel (VU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Stephanie York (VU) def. Emily Rogers, 6-3, 6-4 (DEF)
4. Haley Dekkinga def. Michele Fredlake (VU), 6-1, 6-0
5. Mary Malkin def. Kristin Zakiewicz (VU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Stephanie McDonald def. Brittany O’Reilly (VU), 6-1, 6-0
1. McLaughlin/Rogers def. Barthels/Zakiewicz (VU), 8-1
2. Youel/De La Torre def. York/Goheen (VU), 8-1
3. Dekkinga/McDonald def. Goheen/Fredlake (VU), 8-1