April 13, 2012
OXFORD, Ohio - The Northern Illinois women's tennis team fell to an extremely hot Miami (OH) (12-9, 7-0 MAC) team Friday at the Hepburn Tennis Courts, 6-1.
The RedHawks are on a seven-match winning-streak and are just one win away from going undefeated in MAC play for the second straight year. Despite the loss, Head Coach Ryun Ferrell seemed optimistic for the rest of the weekend after the match.
"First I want to thank [NIU Associate Athletics Director] Mr. [Carl] Armato and the baseball team for stopping by and supporting us,” said Ferrell. “It was great to have fans. We played very well. Miami is a very good team. When we lacked discipline, they had it. That was the difference. We had chances all over the place. Tomorrow will be a better day. We will get to work and keep it simple."
The Huskies’ lone victory came by way of freshman sensation Nelle Youel (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake Central) over Miami’s Riekie Honiball in a three-set match. Youel won with a score of 4-6, 7-6, 10-3 to earn her 13th victory of the season. Youel’s 23 combine W’s on the season are tied for first on the team with sophomore Haley Dekkinga (Allegan, Mich./Allegan).
NIU will look to pick up its second MAC victory of the season on Saturday, April 14 when the Huskies travel back west to take on the Ball State Cardinals at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center in Muncie, Ind. The match will be played at 12:00 p.m. CT and will mark the Huskies’ final road match of the year.
MIAMI (OH) 12-9 (7-0, MAC) DEF. NORTHERN ILLINOIS 10-9 (1-4, MAC), 6-1
APRIL 13, 2012 | HEPBURN TENNIS COURTS | OXFORD, OHIO
1. Danesis/Guerrazzi (MU) def. McLaughlin/Rogers (NIU), 8-2
2. Honiball/Mohan (MU) def. Youel/De La Torre (NIU), 8-4
3. Raymond/Parr (MU) def. Dekkinga/McDonald (NIU), 8-6
1. Stephanie Danesis (MU) def. Sara McLaughlin (NIU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Riekie Honiball (MU), 4-6, 7-6, 10-3
3. Nimisha Mohan (MU) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Christiana Raymond (MU) def. Mary Malkin (NIU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Alix Thurman (MU) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU), 6-1, 6-5
6. Ramona Costea (MU) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU), 6-1, 6-3