April 18, 2014
DeKALB, Ill. - The Huskies took on the Toledo Rockets (13-6, 5-3 MAC) Friday morning. NIU battled hard, but the team fell in the end, 5-2. The loss drops the team's record to 7-11 with a 1-6 figure in the MAC.
"We were so close today," said Head Coach Ryun Ferrell. "I'm very proud of our doubles teams as well as Nelle [Youel] and Cristina [Alvarez] in singles."
From the start of doubles play, it was clear that this was going to be a tight match. The Huskies grabbed a win in the No. 3 when Haley Dekkinga and Stephanie McDonald took down Lauren Thai and Chrissy Coffman, 8-6.
Toledo struck back with a win in the No. 2. Pia Rygh and Katelyn Nguyen took down Cristina Alvarez and Maria Rozo here, 8-5. This pinned the fate of the doubles point on the No. 1 match. Nelle Youel and Arantza De La Torre faced Lexy Pitt and Emily Mazzola in the contest. It was a hard battle, and the Huskie tandem fell just short, dropping the affair 8-7. This gave Toledo an early 1-0 lead.
In singles, Youel began things with an outstanding performance in the No. 1. She was nearly untouchable, beating Coffman 6-0, 6-1. Cristina Alvarez later followed with a 6-4, 6-4 win in the No. 2. She took down Nguyen in the affair.
The remaining Huskies struggled in singles. The team dropped the four matches left in the contest, bringing the final score to 5-2. Mary Malkin put up a fight in the No. 5. After dropping the first set against Mazzola, she stormed back with a 6-0 in the second set. However, she ended up dropping the match in a 6-3, 0-6, 6-3 final.
"Tomorrow, we'll take on a good EMU team," added Ferrell. "It will be a good time to send these seniors off."
NIU will host its last match of the season on Saturday, April 19. The Huskies will face the Eastern Michigan Eagles on the outdoor courts at NIU at 1:00 p.m.
Toledo 5, NIU 2
1. Nelle Youel (NIU) def. Chrissy Coffman (Toledo) 6-0, 6-1
2. Cristina Alvarez (NIU) def. Katelyn Nguyen (Toledo) 6-4, 6-4
3. Pia Rygh (Toledo) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Lexy Pitt (Toledo) def. Arantza De La Torre (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Emily Mazzola (Toledo) def. Mary Malkin (NIU) 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
6. Lauren Thai (Toledo) def. Stephanie McDonald (NIU) 6-3, 6-3
1. Pitt/Mazzola (Toledo) def. Youel/De la Torre (NIU) 8-7
2. Rygh/Nguyen (Toledo) def. Alvarez/Rozo (NIU) 8-5
3. Dekkinga/McDonald (NIU) def. Thai/Coffman (Toledo) 8-6