April 28, 2011
YPSILANTI, Mich. - The Northern Illinois women's tennis team was eliminated from the Mid-American Conference Tournament on Thursday afternoon as it fell to Ball State. The Cardinals defeated the Huskies 4-0 indoors at the Chippewa Tennis Club.
"It was good to see Katie (Friedlund) win in doubles, she and Sara (McLaughlin) played great today. Katie has been through so much with her injuries and I was proud to see her go out on a good note," said NIU head coach Ryun Ferrell. "Kelly (Phillips) looked great in singles and Sara was about to win her match, we just came up a little short in the other four."
Ball State took the first point of the day by taking two-of-three doubles matches. Katie Friedlund and Sara McLaughlin took the match at flight one, 8-4, while Ball State won at flight two, 8-3. In the deciding match, Kelly Phillips and Ilse Pacheco came close to a win at number three but were edged, 8-6, by Kristel Sanders and Lauren Pickrel.
"We had a chance to win the doubles point. I think if we would have won that point we might have won the whole match."
The match was even through the first early stages of singles play. The Huskies took the first set in a pair of the six singles matches as McLaughlin raced to a 6-1 victory in the first set against Dena Boulieris at number four and Phillips earned a 6-3 first set win over Georgina Thompson at flight one
Ball State claimed the opening set in the other four matches, taking the lead in flights two, three, five and six.
The Cardinals scored the first singles victory at number five, where Kylee Johnson was victorious 6-2, 6-2. Ball State then earned the point at number six as Lauren Pickrel won 6-1, 6-1. The Cardinals clinched the match when Sarah Hebble finished a 6-3, 6-0 win at number three.
The other singles matches were not completed once Ball State had reached the necessary four points to advance. McLaughlin was just a game away from a victory at number four when the match was halted; she was leading Boulieris 6-1, 5-2. Phillips held a 6-3, 0-3, lead over Thomson at number one.
No. 8 Ball State 5, No. 9 Northern Illinois 0
1. Kelly Phillips (NIU) vs. Georgina Thomson (BSU) 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
2. Kristel Sanders (BSU) def. Martina Schnapp (NIU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Hebble (BSU) def. Emily Rogers (NIU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sara McLaughlin (NIU) vs. Dena Boulieris (BSU) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
5. Kylee Johnson (BSU) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lauren Pickrel (BSU) def. Ilse Pacheco (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sara McLaughlin/Kathryn Friedlund (NIU) def. Georgina Thomson/Dena Boulieris (BSU) 8-4
2. Kylee Johnson/Sarah Hebble (BSU) def. Emily Rogers/Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 8-3
3. Kristel Sanders/Lauren Pickrel (BSU) def. Kelly Phillips/Ilse Pacheco (NIU) 8-6