March 1, 2008
DEKALB, Ill.-The Northern Illinois University women's tennis team split two matches over the weekend in its first competitive action since the tragic events of February 14th, falling to Iowa Friday, 7-0, and defeating Western Illinois, 7-0, Saturday.
"It was nice to compete again. It felt like starting over. We've been out for three weeks," NIU head coach Ryun Ferrell said after the match to Iowa. "It was good to get out."
The Huskies (2-3) was able to get back to the courts the next day to apply the lessons learned at Iowa the previous afternoon against Western Illinois. NIU responded well, shutting out the Westerwinds.
Nao Umemura (Kasugai-shi Aichi, Japan/Kardina International) turned in a dominating performance against Kate Kennedy of Western Illinois, defeating her in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Brooke Forsberg (Moline, Ill./Moline) also had a solid day, defeating WIU's Yana Meinert, 6-0, 6-1. The No. 1 doubles team of Lilian Asuaje (Monterrey, Mexico/American School Foundation of Monterrey) and Forsberg defeated Western's No. 1 doubles team, 8-6.
"It wasn't pretty, but we looked tough," Ferrell said. "That's what is going to get us through this time in our schedule."
The Huskies are back in action Saturday, March 8, 2008 when NIU travels to Chicago to take on the Blue Demons of DePaul.
NIU vs. Iowa
Mili Veselinovic (Iowa) def. Lilian Asuaje (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
Jacqueline Lee (Iowa) def. Katie Friedland (NIU) 6-1, 6-0
Alexis Dorr (Iowa) def. Nau Umemura (NIU) 6-1, 6-3
Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Brooke Forsberg (Iowa) 6-0, 6-0
Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Jenny Edner (NIU) 6-0, 6-1
Kayla Berry (Iowa) def. Dora Delgadillo
(NIU) 6-2, 6-1
Lee/Dorr (Iowa) def. Asuaje/Forsberg (NIU) 8-2
Poggensee-Wei/Klockenga (Iowa) def. Umemura/Edner (NIU) 8-5
Berry/Barnes (Iowa) def. Friedlund/Delgadillo (NIU) 8-2
NIU vs. Western Illinois
1. Lilian Asuaje (NIU) def. Amanda Griffin 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Katie Friedlund (NIU) def. Ashley Clark 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
3. Nao Umemura (NIU) def. Kate Kennedy 6-0, 6-0
4. Brooke Forsberg (NIU) def. Yana Meinert 6-0, 6-1
5. Jenny Edner (NIU) def. Courtney Brooks 6-2, 6-4
6. Dora Delgadillo (NIU) def. Stephanie Baumer 6-2, 6-3
1. Asuaje/Forsberg (NIU) def. Griffin/Lennartsson 8-6
2. Edner/Umemura (NIU) def. Meinert/Clark 9-7
3. Friedlund/Delgadillo (NIU) def. Kennedy/Baumer 9-8 (4)