We ate up 2008-09 Huskie Athletics. Now we've got the season digested, and we're ready to start the Huskie Happenings 2008-09 Top Moments Countdown. We spent a lot of time trying to define a "Moment" for this list, and ultimately decided that anything that really stuck out in our minds from the past year counts, from a single second, to an entire game.
Today we're hitting the honorable mention list. These were things that we just couldn't justify putting in the top-10. Here's what didn't quite make it, in no particular order.
- Men's tennis comes back from a 3-0 deficit to beat Ball State 4-3, defeating the Cardinals for the first time in the regular season 1974.
- Women's soccer ties 2008 national runner-up Notre Dame and Northwestern at Soldier Field exhibition to raise awareness for breast cancer.
- Tied 10-10 in the fifth set, volleyball makes a 5-1 rally to beat Kent State in the first round of the MAC Tournament.
- Northern Illinois football scores 24 points in 16 minutes to send the Central Michigan game to overtime.
- Former NIU wrestler T.C. Dantzler makes the Olympic Team, becoming only the second Huskie to ever do so.
The countdown officially begins tomorrow, with No. 10. Check back to find out what made the list!
BLOGGING WITH Carol Owens
Fifteen more days before head women's basketball coach Carol Owens reports to Colorado Springs for the FIBA World Championship practice! In her third blog entry of the spring/summer, Owens enlightens Huskie fans on her summer braids, NIU's incoming freshmen, and assistant coach Heather Oesterle's "competitive streak" in touch football of all sports ... that's my job, to tease. Now read the entire blog HERE!
Carol Owens blogs about her preparation for the FIBA World Championships on Huskie Happenings!
JERRY RICH, THE MAN BEHIND THE MYTH
In case you missed it, the Aurora Beacon News had a great feature story on Jerry Rich, owner of Rich Harvest Farms, the home of Huskie Golf and site of the 2009 Solheim Cup. Did or didn't Jerry invent the bar code?!?
HUSKIE MEN'S HOOPS WILL HOST SEMO ON NOV. 22, 2009
In the return game from last season's ESPNU BracketBusters contest in Cape Girardeau, Mo., Southeast Missouri State will visit the NIU Convocation Center on Nov. 22, 2009. The Huskies recorded their largest margin of victory over host SEMO last season (Feb. 21), securing a 97-73 win behind Sean Kowal's 21 points and 13 rebounds. Stay tuned to NIUHuskies.com and Huskie Happenings as the release of the 2009-10 men's and women's basketball schedules draw closer!
NIU'S MCMURRAY TAKES OVER AS PRESIDENT OF NAADD
Tim McMurray, Northern Illinois' Senior Associate Athletics Director for Development, will serve as President of the National Association of Athletic Development Directors (NAADD) in 2009-10, the organization announced at its annual meetings in Orlando. McMurray, who served as NAADD's first vice-president in 2008-09, will lead the association through next year's national meeting. CONGRATS TIM!